Home Open Account Help 315 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Black Butte a few years back

Date: 10/26/20 18:42
Black Butte a few years back
Author: photobob

UP 8591 east starts up the grade at Black Butte a few years back. The searchlight signals were still in use. I could have went up there today and gotten about the same shot.

Robert Morris
Dunsmuir, CA
Robert Morris Photography

Date: 10/26/20 18:45
Re: Black Butte a few years back
Author: 3rdswitch

That's really nice.
JB

Date: 10/26/20 20:28
Author: coach

I absolutely love photos like this one--the grade can be clearly seen, and you can "feel" what the engines feel i.e. a train strung out on a long, steep grade.

And the searchlights are the icing on the cake!

Date: 10/26/20 21:12
Author: DynamicBrake

Love the Black Butte sag.  Thanks for sharing photobob.

Kent in CArmel Valley

Date: 10/27/20 04:40
Author: robj

Very well done, esp how you controlled headlights exposure and camtured the grade.

Bob

Date: 10/27/20 07:23
Author: TonyJ

I think that's one of your best you've taken at Black Butte.

Date: 10/27/20 08:15
Author: FiestaFoamer

Wow, PhotoBob. In addition to what others have mentioned, I'd add that I always like seeing that MRVPW or whatever (the symbol is different now) because those old woodchip hoppers up front always give the train character: you know where you are, what you are looking at. And SD70ACE noses are so distinct and more interesting to look at, imo, than some other possibilities

Date: 10/27/20 12:10
Author: Graybeard1942

Wish I was there. Being housebound sucks. Interestingly, when you stand there in person, the dip isn't really notiable. But you can't miss the water tower!  Thanks, Bob. Stay healthy.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0288 seconds