Home Open Account Help 336 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Tehachapi Loop (sort of) Query

Date: 10/27/20 08:01
Tehachapi Loop (sort of) Query
Author: billio

A week or two ago, it appeared that some sort of construction/refurbishment was occurring at a viaduct downhill from the Loop, just above where single tracking begins for uphill trains.  
Looked like work on bridge supports and maybe decking.  What were they doing?   Just curious...
Thanks in advance.

Date: 10/27/20 08:30
Re: Tehachapi Loop (sort of) Query
Author: czuleget

They were replacing the bridge decking it was wood and was replace with Steel. 

Date: 10/27/20 09:18
Author: billio

czuleget Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They were replacing the bridge decking it was wood
> and was replace with Steel.

Ah!  An upgrade?

Date: 10/27/20 10:02
Author: Curt

I know this has been discussed previously, but does anyone have an update on when the MOW work will be complete in the Tehachapi area?  I've been trying to plan a trip up there for a few months now.  Originally I was told some time in August; then Sept.  I've also heard that once they're done at the bridge east of Woodford, they'll move farther west.  Anyone with insight, I'd love to hear from you.

Date: 10/27/20 10:39
Author: ble692

Honestly on a railroad like over the Tehahcapi's the MOW work never stops. Or the railroad will soon fall apart. Recently they did have windows for concrete tie replacement. That project has concluded. Then they had windows for bridge work at the top end of Woodford. That work has also concluded I believe. At this point I am not aware of any windows. Unless they have yet another new project starting.

Date: 10/27/20 10:39
Author: PHall

There always seems to be some kind of maintenance going on. Of course with the traffic this route handles and the occasional derailment it takes a lot of maintenance to keep this line up.

Date: 10/27/20 11:11
Author: cajon

Tehachapi has been a night railroad the last few months with all the windows. Look like no windows this week so far. Might be there week off and start back up next week.
Dennis

Date: 10/27/20 11:58
Author: Curt

Thanks, Dennis.  I'm pretty familiar with the MOW at Tehachapi.  Historically it's been done regularly on Monday's each week (at least that's my experience), but this recent work has been ongoing, for the past several months, with work going from 7-3:00 pm, I believe.  Just hoping to get any info as to when the entire project will be completed, so I can schedule a trip.  Thanks.

Date: 10/27/20 15:17
Author: MojaveBill

You will have a long wait...

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 10/28/20 22:24
Author: chakk

cajon Wrote:
> Tehachapi has been a night railroad the last few
> months with all the windows. Look like no windows
> this week so far. Might be there week off and
> start back up next week.
> Dennis

Certainly wasn't a night railroad today.  I saw four freights (3 eastbound, 1 westbound) within one hour between 2:30 PM and 3:30 PM on the Techachapi Loop Live Webcams.

Date: 11/01/20 16:12
Author: ProAmtrak

PHall Wrote:
> There always seems to be some kind of maintenance
> going on. Of course with the traffic this route
> handles and the occasional derailment it takes a
> lot of maintenance to keep this line up

Been like that forever it seems, always bad raifanning up there, especially during the week!.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0501 seconds