Home Open Account Help 263 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > My lunchtime railfanning at Sioux City, IA last week

Date: 10/27/20 13:41
My lunchtime railfanning at Sioux City, IA last week
Author: IC_2024

I stopped to see my sister in Sioux City this past week and got a few photos of CN, the old MILW RD roundhouse and the Dakota and Iowa shortline RR.
First stop is at 1573 Steuben St, the old IC depot where the Hawkeye originated and terminated, now home of a CN local crew that goes on duty around lunchtime.  The grain facility in the background was super busy w/ soybean trucks coming in convoys to unload the Fall harvest--quite a sight to see for sure.
On the following day, we visited the Siouxland RR Historical Association's awesome MILW RD roundhouse and got a tour from TJ who works there and used to play baseball w/ my nephew Lee.  Their roundhouse is a must-see while in the area along w/ their GN 1355 which is also listed on the National Register of Historic Landmarks.
Final stop is a quick photo of the Dakota & Iowa near the old stadium.  No one was onboard so I figured that the crew had tied the train down and was at beans, as well! 
i heard a distant train horn and turned my attention to the CN local switching in the distance.   Just to the right of the 4X sign is the location of the old MILW RD passenger depot (now an office building) which last saw regular service 55 years ago when the "Arrow" made its final run.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/20 13:52 by IC_2024.

Date: 10/27/20 13:44
Re: My lunchtime railfanning at Sioux City, IA last week

The Dakota & Iowa job and the CN local working in the distance.

Date: 10/27/20 19:43
Author: callum_out

Working our office up there was always a trip! The D&I ran 1000 feet behind the office which was also the BNSF Yankton line,
The MILW roundhouse was just across the river. The UP ran a 100 car train South to the industrial park, the O'Neill line came 
in right behind the Tyson plant as did the BNSF Sioux City sub line and of course I was always too busy to shoot anything!

Out 

Date: 10/27/20 21:59
Author: Laurence

Nice pictures. Thanks for sharing. My grandfather whom I never got to meet because he died before I was born , ran steamers out of Sioux City for the Milwaukee Road. I got my love of trains from him I'm convinced. He probably knew that roundhouse well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/20 22:00 by Laurence.

Date: 10/27/20 22:02
Author: Laurence

I forgot to add my cousin is a member of the group that maintains the old roundhouse. He gave a tour back in 2007. 

Date: 10/28/20 21:10
Author: brc600

The Sioux City Milwaukee Road roundhouse was #2 in size and jobs (IIRC, I heard 1900) on the railroad only to Milwaukee. All RR's in Sioux City had roundhouses, had to employ thousands of people. 

Laurence Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice pictures. Thanks for sharing. My grandfather
> whom I never got to meet because he died before I
> was born , ran steamers out of Sioux City for the
> Milwaukee Road. I got my love of trains from him
> I'm convinced. He probably knew that roundhouse
> well.

Date: 11/01/20 23:37

Thanks, gentlemen, for adding some more info to my post, and glad y’all enjoyed the photos— love the Siouxland area, and really would’ve been great to see it back “in the day”, too!

Date: 11/02/20 10:18
Author: MILW86A

Thanks for sharing. Was up there twice this year mostly for the D&I but there is always something going on in town with UP/BNSF/and CN.

MILW86A

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0419 seconds