Home Open Account Help 244 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > UP Colorado and Sherman Hill 11/18/2020

Date: 11/19/20 11:27
UP Colorado and Sherman Hill 11/18/2020
Author: ATSFSuperChief

Got tired of staying isolated so drove north yesterday to enjoy a day with trains and camera. Found first train south of Pierce, CO, parked truck setup tripod, put camera on and then noticed that camera battery was dead. A brief period of obscenities followed by spare battery in camera and got the end of train, a southbound empty windmill wing train going at track speed. Then found a stopped train just east of Granite, WY, looked like Dead On Law as there was a automotive vehicle parked next to it. Then here came another manifest passing it with nice horn blowing and waves from engineer in UP 5252 (remember this engine as it shows up later). Then took a shot of the Granite mine operation where UP and BNSF get a lot of ballast for their tracks. Proceeded west to Buford, WY where there was a large amount of UP MOW going on but did spot an eastbound Stacker so reversed direction and went east to Remount Road and shot this train as it passed over the Remount Road Bridge. Then proceeded past the Ames Monument and onto Hermosa, WY where there were no trains but a large amount of wind as had to use my truck as wind blocker to get pictures of blank searchlight signals. Waited a while longer but still no trains and got tired of wind so headed towards home. Just as getting onto US 287 saw a double stacker headed west, another one missed at Hermosa, WY. While driving home noticed a train accelerating south in Ault, CO and it looked familiar and lo and behold it was UP 5252 with it's manifest. Got ahead of it and shot it at a non-removed grade crossing north of Eaton, CO. Although missed the stacker at Hermosa, WY seeing the UP 5252 manifest on two different divisions made up for it.

Date: 11/19/20 11:30
Re: UP Colorado and Sherman Hill 11/18/2020

More Sherman Photos.

Date: 11/19/20 11:30

Sherman Hill Double stacker and TOFC.

Date: 11/19/20 11:33

Hermosa and Eaton Shots.

Date: 11/19/20 16:25
Author: santafe199

I know how nice it was for you to get out of the house and go shooting! And what better place than a busy UP main line. A couple of your telephoto images remind me of that EMD artist from the early 70s(?) who always presented his renderings in SUPER-dramatic angles... :^)

Lance

Date: 11/19/20 18:33
Author: Gonut1

Tom Fawell was the artist that did the angular EMD ads. He sure made those locos look both powerful and fast.Not sure but i think it began with the Reading GP-30. I thought they were so cool! Today the design looks kind of frumpy! Tom's Hustle Muscle Geat Northern image probably impessed me the most.
Go

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0534 seconds