Home Open Account Help 304 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Some California What Is Happening, What Is It Questions

Date: 11/19/20 11:07
Some California What Is Happening, What Is It Questions
Author: tq-07fan

I am working on a slide show involving transit in California for a bus group that I am in. Before I broadcast via Zoom on Saturday night I would like to know what I took pictures of on several things. I figure since it's something I don't know other people not from California may be interested as well and it makes for a more complete show.
1-3) These were taken from the Sprinter that operates out of Oceanside. What is going on with the plastic covering the hillside in the picture?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/20 11:08 by tq-07fan.

Date: 11/19/20 11:10
Re: Some California What Is Happening, What Is It Questions
Author: tq-07fan

4,5) These were taken from the Blue Line south of Compton. What are these pods for? 

In the quite likely event I run into any more I don't know I'll ask for them too.

TIA

Jim

Date: 11/19/20 11:28
Author: callum_out

The plastic is for erosion control and the pods, I'm not sure but probably protection for some instrumentation.

Out 

Date: 11/19/20 13:26
Author: MrMRL

The 'pod' pictured above is actually just one part of a multi-sculpture series on display at the Metro Blue Line Wardlow Station. The pod is actually made out of old aircraft nose cones. (additional screen cap below from Google Street View showing other "pods"). The aircraft reference is important due to the station's close proximity to Long Beach Airport and its significant history in commercial and military aircraft assembly.

https://www.publicartinpublicplaces.info/public-art-great-gathering-place-1992-by-jacqueline-dreager

The excerpt below is from an Art Guide pdf that I can't directly link, but it shows a map and photo guide to all the artworks on display across the system.
Just Google search "LA Metro Art Guide" to view the full pdf yourself.

~ Mr. MRL

LA Metro commissions artists to create engaging and thought-provoking artworks to make your journey more inviting and pleasurable.
The artworks weave a multi-layered cultural tapestry that mirrors Los Angeles County’s rich contemporary and popular cultures.

Established in 1989, the Metro Art program has commissioned over 250 artists for a wide variety of both temporary and permanent projects. Artists are selected through a peer review process with community input; all works are created especially for their transit related sites.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/20 14:01 by MrMRL.

Date: 11/19/20 13:44
Author: mapboy

tq-07fan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ... 1-3) These were taken from the Sprinter that
> operates out of Oceanside. What is going on with
> the plastic covering the hillside in the picture?

Someone may have seen signs of slippage of the slope.  If you cover it like this, the rain won't sink in.  If moisture below the surface is seeping in (leaking pipes or swimming pool, spring), this will help but won't end the problem.  The extra rain runoff could cause someone else a problem down slope.  That happened to my brother, so he had a legal discussion with his neighbor and the neighbor diverted the runoff.

mapboy

Date: 11/19/20 14:45
Author: callum_out

The pod thing is so Cali!!

Out 

Date: 11/19/20 15:46
Author: MojaveBill

So what kind of "aircraft" are those "nose cones" from?

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 11/19/20 17:04
Author: MEKoch

Underneath the plastic I thought Gov. Newsom was growing legal pot to ease the state's deficit.........

Date: 11/19/20 17:29
Author: MrMRL

MojaveBill Wrote:
> So what kind of "aircraft" are those "nose cones"
> from?

The LA Metro Art Guide describes the sculptures as "nose cones", but to my untrained eye the spherical ones more closely appear to resemble propeller spinner hubs, possibly off of DC-3 aircraft.

~ Mr. MRL

Date: 11/19/20 19:07
Author: SP_8299

MrMRL Wrote:
> MojaveBill Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > So what kind of "aircraft" are those "nose
> cones"
> > from?
>
>
> The LA Metro Art Guide describes the sculptures as
> "nose cones", but to my untrained eye the
> spherical ones more closely appear to resemble
> propeller spinner hubs, possibly off of DC-3
> aircraft.
>
> ~ Mr. MRL

From the size and shape prop spinners was my guess too, and DC-3 or similar would be fitting for the area.  Still have fond memories of the Catalina Flying Boats DC-3 that regularly flew out of LGB up until a few years ago.  Would duck out onto the patio when my previous employer's office was right there at the airport to catch it or anything else interesting was passing through (Navy F/A-18Es or Fs that liked to break right over our building) or doing engine run-ups (a privately owned P-51 Mustang parked in a nearby hangar that sounded glorious).

Date: 11/19/20 22:23
Author: PHall

They built DC-3's at Douglas Aircraft at Long Beach Airport...

Date: 11/20/20 05:08
Author: jmonier

PHall Wrote:
> They built DC-3's at Douglas Aircraft at Long
> Beach Airport...

Most, if not all, DC-3's were built at Santa Monica. The Long Beach plant did not even exist until the early '40's when DC-3 production was winding down.

Date: 11/20/20 07:00
Author: BAB

MrMRL Wrote:
> MojaveBill Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > So what kind of "aircraft" are those "nose
> cones"
> > from?
>
>
> The LA Metro Art Guide describes the sculptures as
> "nose cones", but to my untrained eye the
> spherical ones more closely appear to resemble
> propeller spinner hubs, possibly off of DC-3
> aircraft.
>
> ~ Mr. MRL

The type that was used on the DC3 were hub covers not what is usually refered to as spinner which covered the entire hub of the propeller.  Thing that Ham standards were the props used on them.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0842 seconds