Home Open Account Help 297 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > SCRM SP1006 EMC Restoration

Date: 11/19/20 19:26
SCRM SP1006 EMC Restoration
Author: D-Althaus

The first photo is the finished restoration project. The second photo was taken about 15 years ago during disassembly. The night time photo was a multi second exposure by Bryan McKenzie, one of our local photography enthusiasts. Everything came off the frame except for the cab body, prime mover, main generator, and compressor. It took four complete trucks to make two good ones. Plus buying lots of worn out and bent parts. The engine is a freshly rebuilt 6V571U. They are very old and rare. Fortunately we had a complete spare engine donated to the museum. The refurbished locomotive purrs like a kitten. A real sweet locomotive to operate. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/20 19:27 by D-Althaus.

Date: 11/19/20 21:09
Re: SCRM SP1006 EMC Restoration
Author: tgcostello

Congrats on the completion of the SW-1, Dave.  And thanks from all of us for the accomplishment.  Thanks too for your regular updates.
Tim Costello

Date: 11/19/20 21:37
Author: czuleget

They say some things never change . WELL in this picture the second one down shows two that have made a miraculous transformation. That is the 1006 and the SF 98

Date: 11/20/20 09:09
Author: HotWater

D-Althaus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The first photo is the finished restoration
> project. The second photo was taken about 15 years
> ago during disassembly. The night time photo was a
> multi second exposure by Bryan McKenzie, one of
> our local photography enthusiasts. Everything came
> off the frame except for the cab body, prime
> mover, main generator, and compressor. It took
> four complete trucks to make two good ones. Plus
> buying lots of worn out and bent parts. The engine
> is a freshly rebuilt 6V571U. They are very old and
> rare.

Sure you don't mean a 6-567 U-Deck?  Having spent just short of 37 years working for EMD (June 1, 1962 thru December 1998), I must admit that I am unaware of a "6V571U". But,,,,,,,you are indeed correct about the old 6-567 U-Deck and V-Deck engines being very, VERY rare.  Certainly a great job on the total restoration. Thanks for all the hard work your operation does.

Fortunately we had a complete spare engine
> donated to the museum. The refurbished locomotive
> purrs like a kitten. A real sweet locomotive to
> operate. 

Date: 11/20/20 10:18
Author: D-Althaus

Of course the correct model # is 6-567U. I also work on old Detroits so slipped and used their style of nomenclature. i.e. 12V71TI etc. With your background, you'll probably appreciate some of this. Since the U is a water deck engine, and it sat for years, the liner seals were all bad. We pulled the rods, pistons, and liners. The water deck seal surfaces weren't in too bad shape so we stuck with it rather than try to upgrade to C heads. Someone had overhauled it about 1970 so the mains, rods, etc, were all stamped with 1969 and 1970 dates. And they installed B heads which meant we could use the new integral oil and water seal head gaskets. The one thing that caught us off guard was a problem we encountered when trying to set the racks. Nothing was working. Finally we checked TDC with a dial indicator down an injector hole and found that the flywheel was 30 degrees off. Someone mounted it one bolt hole off with a 12 bolt pattern. We moved the degree indicator and then everything worked fine. The initial proposal was written about 1999. We finished in 2019. I didn't keep track of the manhours but it was easily in the ten's of thousands. It was a real basket case. Could write a whole book on that project.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0382 seconds