Home Open Account Help 361 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Nevada State RR Museum expansion planned

Date: 11/26/20 14:51
Nevada State RR Museum expansion planned
Author: Copy19

Despite COVID-19 slowing tourism the Nevada State Railroad Museum in Boulder City is planning to expand its facilities according to a story in this week's Boulder City Review.  

The museum people continue to impress me as I never dreamed there would be a railroad museum there.  When I was a kid I watched the branch beyond Henderson barely stay alive.  It was left in place after Hoover Dam was completed in 1934 "just in case" something would be needed at the dam.  When the former contractor's connecting railroad from the UP yard in Boulder City to the dam was torn up I thought that was the end, but the Boulder Local still made occasional trips with a car or two for two customers in Boulder City.

After I left Boulder in 1960 for college the depot where my dad used to get UP calendars for me was closed and moved to Henderson to be used as museum there. 

I did get a chance to host a special UP passenger VIP special from Las Vegas to Boulder City and back in 1984 to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the dedication of the dam in 1935 by then President Franklin Roosevelt.  I figured that would be the last passenger train to Boulder City.  Boy howdy was I mistaken!

Eventually UP stopped service beyond Henderson.  Certain death seemed inevitable until the Nevada State Museum expressed interest in saving the line. I was overjoyed to play a part in getting the company to donate the track to the museum.

It's truly the railroad that refuses to die!

JB - Omaha

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/20 14:56 by Copy19.

Date: 11/26/20 15:59
Re: Nevada State RR Museum expansion planned
Author: callum_out

It still gets quite a way out of "downtown" thanks to Poly West and yes the expansion including the new Visitors Center
and added narrow gauge track will ad value to the museum.

Out 

Date: 11/28/20 08:07
Author: SPJoe

Good to hear. I usually get a glimpse of a UP local crossing N Green Valley Pkwy in Henderson from my sons back yard when visiting him and also try to visit the Museum at least once per visit.

Joe

Date: 11/28/20 10:09
Author: callum_out

The new visitors center will be all the way down to where the 4 lane (the old road) turns toward the dam. A few hundred feet
more and it could head toward the old warehouses, history revived! Seriously though, as nice as Carson City is, being landlocked
sure limits their ability for much of a ride.

Out 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0454 seconds