Home Open Account Help 247 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > UP 1988 and INPOA

Date: 12/01/20 18:10
UP 1988 and INPOA
Author: cchan006

There were several ways people were alerted to Miss Katy (UP 1988) leading the INPOA into Northern California. Mine was this, and thanks kyrasmus for posting this report:

https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,5146007

Before the PSR era, I was able to make reasonable calculations for its arrival into my area, even if the train was 900+ miles away, but I learned from my intercept of UP 1989 and IG2OA back in March, that train speeds on the UP has become unpredictable (usually slower).

Thanks to jmf1910 for passing along ETA info, and here's his excellent catch of the train:

https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,5147991

With the ETA info, I "recalculated" and took the time to post a report here on TO in the morning before I headed out to intercept Miss Katy.

I watched the INPOA work the setout at Lathrop just east of CP Palm, first clip. This is on the Fresno Sub, while Lathrop Intermodal Facility is on the Oakland Sub.

I went to grab food and fueled up my car, and when I came back, INPOA had already taken off. I guess PSR isn't as slow as I thought, but this is more credit to the crews than anything else. Not having "the feel" for exactly where the train was, I headed to the west end of Altamont at the "Greenville Trestle" to make sure I didn't miss it, second clip. Based on the "DPU chirps" I heard on my scanner, I was already ahead of the train near the WP arch bridge over I-580. FYI, the train was 3x1x0, mid-train DPU.

INPOA was slow enough across the trestle that I decided not to record the entire train, and instead, headed for Hearst. Ran into SCUFoamer, jmf1910, JimB and others there, but INPOA picked up speed and I lost the gamble.

So I took revenge, and got Miss Katy at Tunnel 1 east portal (Niles Canyon), third clip.

I had set my mind to visit Shinn already, and the light was great there, fourth clip.

To finish up, I drove to Jack London Square, and gave my car more exercise - freeway miles are good for preventing carbon buildup. There was a bit of sunlight near Broadway, but I decided to go mostly shadows at the next street, Washington St., fifth clip.

That's it for the report.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 12/01/20 18:31
Re: UP 1988 and INPOA
Author: pbouzide

Great video. Chased all the way to Jack London, that's pretty impressive.

You caught me in the frame at Greenville Trestle, that's me standing in the door of the white van. I hope it wasn't an ettiquette violation of some sort being in the frame there.

Date: 12/01/20 19:01
Author: cchan006

pbouzide Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I hope it wasn't an ettiquette violation of some
> sort being in the frame there.

No complaints here. You were there first, and you didn't block the train. Thanks for being part of the scenery. :-)

For train events that attract much more people, you'll want to familiarize yourself with the idea of a "photo line." Unfortunately, when the general public is involved, like with UP Steam, many people don't have a clue. I'm used to incorporating people in my shots, so I usually don't lose my mind over being blocked.

Date: 12/01/20 19:13
Author: oyw

Looks like a good old fashioned "feeding frenzy" up north, always a good thing! Great shot and video by you and likewise to all the other photographers.

Date: 12/01/20 19:47
Author: TheNavigator

Nicely done video, Charles!
GK

Date: 12/01/20 21:50
Author: jimB

Good to see you Sunday, Charles. That made it an official event!

The Greenville trestle shot looked great, as well as Shinn St. Glad I stayed out of your photo - I was meant to be behind the camera! Interesting to see how you handled Jack London and the shadows.

JIm B

Date: 12/01/20 21:57
Author: SCUfoamer

Thanks for the report Charles! I may have to take your one niles canyon parking space next time ;)

Date: 12/02/20 14:00
Author: atsf121

Great video, enjoyed the double stacks through Jack London Square. Always fun to watch cars try to navigate the street while a huge freight train rolls through.

Nathan

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0435 seconds