Home Open Account Help 316 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > B-PTLLAC

Date: 01/13/21 18:21
B-PTLLAC
Author: callum_out

So for the last month or two I've been wondering why the Portland to LA baretables have been running by way of Denver. Was told it was rolling storage, route didn't make much difference,. 
was told that the domestic double stacks had tunnel issues on the Highline. OK, so in consideration of those facts how you explain the fact that the current train is in Bakersfield for a crew change!?!
Tunnels all of a sudden fix themselves? And people wonder why railfans are at times confused!

Out 

Date: 01/13/21 18:39
Re: B-PTLLAC
Author: Valleyman

Out, these trains are compromised of single level stacks. Usually, JB Hunt and Swift containers. Double stacks cannot be run on the Highline. Part of the reason for the Denver reroutes, were because the BNSF had reached the maximum number of trains they could run on the UP Feather River route trackage agreement. Also, BNSF has been busy cutting over CTC between KFalls and Keddie. I think that some of the lumber business has slowed a bit as well. BNSF is also, rerouting the FedEx repo train and a couple grain trains through Denver. 

Valleyman

Date: 01/13/21 20:26
Author: Pacific5th

Not sure which Highline you guys are referring to but the definitely fit on the Montana Highline. They do not fit double stacked down the Oregon Trunk or Inside Gateway.

Date: 01/13/21 20:27

Valeyman, thanks for the straight scoop, much appreciated, your reply certainly makes sense.

Out 

Date: 01/13/21 20:28

Pacific 5th, sorry for the confusion, Highline was a leftover WP term.

Out 

Date: 01/13/21 20:30
Author: wesleygreer

All of the B-PTLLAC trains I've seen go through Denver have been doublestacked, maybe they just route it based on whether that day's train is single or doublestacked.

Date: 01/13/21 20:56
Author: cajon

I have seen a BNSF train all signal stack JBHunts thru Mojave this year going east.
Dennis

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/13/21 21:00
Author: monaddave

Note that the Montana Hi Line is spelled Hi Line.
Dave in MT

Date: 01/13/21 21:54

People who watch the Tehachapi Cam comment on the traffic ratio between BNSF and UP, FRC seems to have gotten
to be the same way. 

Out 

Date: 01/13/21 22:38

monaddave Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Note that the Montana Hi Line is spelled Hi Line.
> Dave in MT

My mistake on that. You would think I would know that seeing as I hand off trains to those guys. 

Date: 01/13/21 22:39

callum_out Wrote:
> Pacific 5th, sorry for the confusion, Highline was
> a leftover WP term.
>
> Out 

I forgot about that. Sound like we are all on the same page.

Date: 01/14/21 08:04
Author: icancmp193

Hard to believe the Highline (Gateway Sub) traffic has the UP FRC route at "capacity", but then again, I have not seen a baretable train north or south, nekkid or single-stacked, in a couple weeks.

Of course I post this and the next train through is a northbound baretable at 10:30!

TJY

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/21 10:34 by icancmp193.

Date: 01/14/21 12:44
Author: lynnpowell

Valleyman said:  < < < BNSF had reached the maximum number of trains they could run on the UP Feather River route trackage agreement. > > >

How many trains is the BNSF allowed to run through the Feather River Canyon per day according to the agreement with UP?

Date: 01/14/21 14:16
Author: trainjunkie

lynnpowell Wrote:
> How many trains is the BNSF allowed to run through
> the Feather River Canyon per day according to the
> agreement with UP?

I don't know how the agreement is actually structured but one of my managers in Stockton told me that trains in each direction have to be spaced out by at least 4 hours. That allows only a maximum of 6 trains a day in each direction if they are spaced exactly, which they never are. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0642 seconds