Home Open Account Help 398 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Tail End of the Snow Storm in Tacoma/Steilacoom

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 02/15/21 01:13
Tail End of the Snow Storm in Tacoma/Steilacoom
Author: DelMonteX

On Sunday 2/14/21, after making our way off our property and the 11 inches of snow, I dropped my wife off at work and headed out to see what the railroad snow scene looked like in Tacoma.  Oh and of course buying  a couple dozen roses.  1) First up was Tacoma Rail - The Muni yard with a pair of BNSF Geeps tied down. 2) Here’s some Tacoma Rail power waiting for crews. 3) The only job I found working, at the west end of the slug yard.

Steve Carter
Gig Harbor, WA
My Photography

Date: 02/15/21 01:14
Re: Tail End of the Snow Storm in Tacoma/Steilacoom

4) Over at the BNSF, the yard is pretty full, but no jobs working. 5 & 6) The plant at 21st St had some frozen switches, so MOW was hard a work fighting snow & ice with fire.

Steve Carter
Gig Harbor, WA
My Photography

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/21 01:17 by DelMonteX.

Date: 02/15/21 01:15

7) Just south of  21st St a grain train is blasting through a snow squall. While the MOW guys are hurrying out of the way 8) Next door on the Lakewood Sub at CP Tacoma Dome, all is quite and white.  By Monday morning, the snow should be mostly gone from the rain that has taken the place of the snow.  9) Tacoma Link was running!

Steve Carter
Gig Harbor, WA
My Photography

Date: 02/15/21 01:16

10) Out to Steilacoom for the UP’s OSEGL (Garbage Train).  This train sat at 21st for a very long time, while the frozen switches were thawed into operation. 11) The going away shot. 12) Sitting just south of the Ferry Crossing was the LYDVBT, waiting to be re-crewed.  With a new crew on board, it’s creeping up to take a look at CP Bridge 14’s signal.   The signals had not been accurately showing the status of the bridge’s locks, forcing a Red/Red for all four signals.    The OSEGL had been talked by the all Red after the Bridge Tender had verified the bridge was properly locked in place and derails open. 

Steve Carter
Gig Harbor, WA
My Photography

Date: 02/15/21 01:17

13) Perfect timing, the Anderson Island Ferry arrives just as the train blocks the crossing.   14) A little bit of pacing as the train approached CP Bridge 14 15) Once the LYDVBT stopped for the Red, and called the dispatcher to get “talked by”, a Signal Maintainer “reset” the bridge and by the time the dispatcher got back to the train, the signals were in a favorable aspect.  Moments later they were crossing the bridge and I was headed home. 

Steve Carter
Gig Harbor, WA
My Photography

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/21 01:27 by DelMonteX.

Date: 02/15/21 04:20
Author: cozephyr

Wow, record snowfall around Tacoma and Stellacoom, Washington-!  Thanks, Steve, for getting out and sharing your fine images with us in those conditions.  I always look forward to your posts.

Date: 02/15/21 05:15
Author: bobk

Nice shots!

Date: 02/15/21 06:02
Author: SantaFe9820

Does it not snow often in the area? I'm about to move to the area in a couple weeks. Nice shots!

Date: 02/15/21 07:21
Author: agent1522

Great pictures, Steve. Any chance these will be showing up as an Autumn Leaf program?

Date: 02/15/21 08:23
Author: 3rdswitch

Outstanding bunch.
JB

Date: 02/15/21 09:54
Author: BrianA

I caught that BNSF 4722 grain load coming into Auburn.later that morning.  Not the amount of snow falling that you got though!  There were two coal loads just ahead of it.  Great pics!  And here I thought we were going to get through the winter without seeing ANY snow!  Makes me wonder if we are done with the snow for this winter or are there any more surprises awaiting us.

Brian Ambrose
Renton, WA

Date: 02/15/21 10:16
Author: cslemp

SantaFe9820 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does it not snow often in the area? I'm about to
> move to the area in a couple weeks. Nice shots!

Not often in the lowlands near the water.  The mountains and Eastern WA usually get quite a bit though.

Chris

Christopher Slemp
South Hadley, MA
Milepost 15

Date: 02/15/21 10:26
Author: wjpyper

I was going to fire-up the 4-wheel drive and shoot some of the same, but when I went out it had a flat tire. So I went back in and put my feet to the fire (literally).
Bill Pyper
Lacey, WA

Date: 02/15/21 10:35
Author: Ritzville

Great looking snow shots!!

Larry

Date: 02/15/21 11:06
Author: cewherry

SantaFe9820 Wrote:

I made the decision to move to the Puget Sound area after a two-day visit in August.....big mistake.
Forever after, I jokingly referred that time (August) as real estate agents "dream time"; it doesn't get much 
nicer than during that period. Unfortunately, Puget Sound is most beautiful during, what I found in my 38 year
residency, a 'sweet spot' between mid-July and around the first week of October. 

The photo's of the sectionmen using torches to melt ice is telling; there are NO switch heaters west of
Baring (on the line to Wenatchee); nothing---up and down, from Vancouver, WA to the Canadian border, so
what Steve is showing us is rare.

Date: 02/15/21 12:41
Author: texchief1

Bunch of nice shots!

RC Lundgren
Elgin, TX

Date: 02/15/21 13:45
Author: randgust

Was out there several years ago prior to the connector and was pretty floored by the Tacoma Hill and how that was operated today and in the MILW days.

Do they do any special procedures on Tacoma Rail for snow like this?   Or just wait until it melts a bit?   That grade with the sharp curve and crossings at the bottom could make anybody pucker even without snow.

Date: 02/15/21 14:59

Possibly, but I have no plans as such at the moment.    

More likely wondering if there will be another Autumn Leaf show.   Hopefully so, but I'd doubt it will be this year. 

agent1522 Wrote:
> Great pictures, Steve. Any chance these will be
> showing up as an Autumn Leaf program?

Steve Carter
Gig Harbor, WA
My Photography

Date: 02/15/21 15:02

During the last 10 years, I'd guess this happened 2-3 times.   This much at sea level is fairly rare.  But as mentioned above, plenty of snow in the mountains every winter,  not more than an hour or two away.

SantaFe9820 Wrote:

Steve Carter
Gig Harbor, WA
My Photography

Date: 02/15/21 15:07

I'm sure they have procedures in place.   But typically, it likely is just wait a day or two.     As you could see in the photos, while there was snow on the ground at tideflats, it was not a big issue.  Although, I know of one TR employee kept busy sweeping switches.    Going up the hill to Fredrickson can be delayed a day for two and if that was the case on Sunday (the normal run is Sundays and Wednesdays) then if they waited, it would be clear today.   That said, I found only one of the SD70AceP4's in the yard, so maybe they went out to Frederickson with the other one and one or more of the SD40s. 

randgust Wrote:
> Was out there several years ago prior to the
> connector and was pretty floored by the Tacoma
> Hill and how that was operated today and in the
> MILW days.
>
> Do they do any special procedures on Tacoma Rail
> for snow like this?   Or just wait until it
> melts a bit?   That grade with the sharp curve
> and crossings at the bottom could make anybody
> pucker even without snow.

Steve Carter
Gig Harbor, WA
My Photography

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0899 seconds