Home Open Account Help 309 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Norden Shed- About to get Crowded

Date: 02/21/21 09:18
Norden Shed- About to get Crowded
Author: BoilingMan

And NOISY! 
An EB on Track 1 waits for a WB coming up 2.  Once he's clear of single track Tunnel 41 (in just a moment)  the signal will clear and the EB will begin it's roll down Donner to Truckee,and beyond.
SR

Date: 02/21/21 09:43
Re: Norden Shed- About to get Crowded
Author: tomstp

I bet it got a little loud in there.

Date: 02/21/21 09:47
Author: texchief1

That is one nice shot!

RC Lundgren
Elgin, TX

Date: 02/21/21 17:30
Author: cinder

So yes ..... I have to ask.  Are you shooting through the tunnel from the other end?  Or, are you in the tunnel itself?

Date: 02/21/21 18:07

Not a tunnel, it's all a man made concrete shed that protects the crossovers from snow.  I posted this photo a couple days ago that gives a better feel for the size of the place.   
I was off to the far right side of this view.  At one time there was a cookhouse that was attached to the shed along that wall.  The cookhouse is gone now, but the steps and landing for the door are still there in a wide spot in the shed.  That is where I took this shot from.  I gave the crew a wave as they entered the shed and they tapped the horn- they could see I was there and in the clear.  (I wonder if they were working when they could still order a lunch?)   
There was much more to Norden when I first started shooting here 40yrs ago, but it's still an interesting place.
SR

Date: 02/21/21 18:14
Author: wpjones

Steve, Is Norden where the turntable was under cover. I remember seeing it from the CZ but it had roof suports in the pit.
Steve

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/21 18:15 by wpjones.

Date: 02/21/21 18:16
Author: MP4093

Yes, a covered turntable.

Date: 02/22/21 12:55

Yes.  Here is the turntable before the roof began to fail and needed to be braced.  I probably took this in about 1984.  Also an aerial from right around the same time.  (Pre-Drone days-  I shot this from a helicopter)
SR

Date: 02/22/21 15:47
Author: WAF

Good look at the 1926 concrete slabs wth the chinneys on top and in the distance at the end of the house on the east end, the "Woolworth crew quarters"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/21 15:49 by WAF.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0641 seconds