Home Open Account Help 258 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > One Unit Trains

Date: 02/21/21 09:40
One Unit Trains
Author: CNW8531

Just a few boring shots of single unit trains taken in the past month around here.  I like multi unit consist, not these one unit trains.  And yes, there's usually a DP unit in the middle and on the rear, but that don't show up when shooting the head end.  Nor would that DP unit keep the crew warm if the lead engine were to belly up in route.  I know, because it's happened to me before.  I'm so glad I'm retired now!!  But I guess this is the new normal as it's all about saving money (PSR) for the railroads.  So what if the crew freezes before we can get to them in the middle of nowhere because their unit died.

1   A UP westbound junker at Low Moore, Iowa.  1/26/21

2   CP's Ipsco local assualting the hill near Montpelier, Iowa.  This job almost always runs with two units, but not this day.  I didn't think it was going to make the hill as it was grinding hard and not even doing walking speed.  And it only had 13 cars in tow!  2/01/21

3   Eastbound UP junker MNPAH with the #1111 leading outside of Grand Mound, Iowa, very late in the afternoon with a very big train in tow.  There is a DP unit in the middle and on the rear as well, but still.  2/20/21  Thanks to SP8595 for the heads-up on this train.

Date: 02/21/21 09:49
Re: One Unit Trains
Author: texchief1

Nice shots!

RC Lundgren
Elgin, TX

Date: 02/21/21 10:02
Author: tomstp

In the last few months we have seen an increase in single engine trains (UP) which looks strange.  But then, I think back to steam days and that is what we had.  Of course trains were not 130 cars long either.

Date: 02/21/21 18:02
Author: SP8595

Nice series but like you, I do not care for a single engine leading!

Date: 02/21/21 18:49
Author: 57A26

Not to mention that every so often a train with only one engine in front will break in two, and then not have enough power to put the train back together.  Those MNPAH almost daily have "issues."  Yet they think one on the point is a smart idea.

The other night a1x2x1 MNPAH got a knuckle out at Glidden IA.  A knuckle between the two midtrain units broke. 

Date: 02/21/21 19:56
Author: oyw

All great but I have to admit, that first shot with the yellow UP catches my eye the most.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0467 seconds