Home Open Account Help 286 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > A Sunny Day Chase

Date: 02/21/21 15:29
A Sunny Day Chase
Author: twjurgens

Yesterday started off foggy and gloomy but late morning, the sun came out AND there was a coal load going to Nebraska City.

The sunshine and warmer temps were too much to pass up. It was the first day in over 2 weeks that the temp here was over freezing.....almost felt like t-shirt weather! The local tv station's weather guys said that this was the first day since February 4 that the temp had been over freezing. It seemed to me that most days weren't even close!

Anyway, here are a few pics from the chase. Head end power was 9107 and 5798. 9827, 5829, and 8589 were dpu power. A forward facing unit on the rear for a change AND it was a MAC still in the original paint.
 The first 3 shots are at the S 134th Street crossing east of Cheney. The Izaak Walton League property is near here and they must have been having an event of some kind because there seemed to be more shooting than I expected. Maybe a trap meet.

(3 more follow)

Date: 02/21/21 15:33
Re: A Sunny Day Chase
Author: twjurgens

The 4th shot is of the train crossing the Little Nemaha River at S 12th Road crossing east of Palmyra. The bridge here was a fairly old wooden pile trestle and has been replaced with a longer, steel and concrete structure. The Arbor sub can be prone to flooding in some places and this location can be one of the worst so the replacement was probably money well spent. There are some sort of debris shields or deflectors on the upstream side to help prevent build-up.

The last two shots attached are at Unadilla, home of Unadilla Bill, a weather prognosticator of regional fame. I understand that he has been forced into retirement and will be replaced by Unadilla Billy in time for next year's spring prediction.

I followed this train to Neb City so will photos from the rest of the trip in a separate note.

Date: 02/22/21 09:48
Author: texchief1

Nice shots and a productive chase.

RC Lundgren
Elgin, TX

Date: 02/22/21 19:17
Author: bobk

Nice series!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0541 seconds