Home Open Account Help 267 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > The Quincy Railroad and a Few More

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 02/22/21 20:03
The Quincy Railroad and a Few More
Author: SCUfoamer

The Quincy Railroad is something that I knew almost nothing about. I had seen historic images of the Quincy #2 steam locomotive, and knew that there was some sort of lumber exchange with the Union Pacific in the hills above Quincy. I used that as an excuse to railfan the Feather River over my February break and convinced JMF1910 to "work from home" and tag along. Huge thanks to some other TO members who helped our efforts. Here are some photos of the Quincy Railroad interhchange along with a few other trains in the Feather River Canyon

The Quincy Railroad is a terminal railway that interchanges lumber from the Sierra Pacific Industries Mill with the Union Pacific Railroad. The 3.27 mile route to Quincy Jct. features a 4% grade and spectacular mountain views of Quincy's American Valley. Union Pacific Railroad operates the LRC60 local on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays to pick up lumber loads and drop off empties for the QRR. The local runs out of Portola in the mornings, interchanges at Quincy Jct. and runs back to Portola. The North Platte to Fresno manifests that run via the Canyon Sub. are responsible for loads and empties into/out of Portola.  We documented the entire operation on Friday, February 19th.

1. We arrived at the Sierra Pacific Lumber Mill in E. Quincy around 7am. The crew was prepping SW1200 #5 for a light run up to the Junction. We set up at the east end of the yard and shot the run up to Quincy Jct.

2. QRR #5 is seen rolling past their run around track with Quincy Jct in the hills above.

3. #5 patiently waits for empties to take down to the mill. The junction has 2 yard tracks and stub traks. On Friday morning the yard was completely full with 12 loaded centerbeams. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/21 20:21 by SCUfoamer.

Date: 02/22/21 20:09
Re: The Quincy Railroad and a Few More

4. UPRR 9912 arrives at Quincy Jct. with two empties for QRR. They'll hand off the two empties first, grab the two cuts of loads, and head straight back to Portola.

5. QRR #5 heads down the 4% grade to the Mill. They will run around the empties, set them, and then bring four loads up to the junction. All in a day's work!

6. As the QRR does their thing in Quincy, the LRC60 climbs towards Williams loop.

Date: 02/22/21 20:15
Author: bluesman

So Cool. The whole setting for the Quincy and it's connection to the WP is picturesque and so right.  It is what many now gone shortlines were with their connections to the US rail network.

Date: 02/22/21 20:17

7. UPRR North Platte to Fresno manifest crosses the Keddie Wye just after sundown. The train had... you guessed it, about 10 lumber loads from Sierra Pacific on the end.

8. A Southbound BNSF manifest negotiates the many curves of the Feather River Canyon just west of Virgilia

9. UPRR loaded coal train rolls through the searchlights at E. Keddie

Date: 02/22/21 20:30

10. A WB INPOA along the Feather River running 1x1 west of Virgilia.

11. A NB BNSF STOPAS with some cool power climbs the 1% grade above Camp Rogers.

12. A WB UP coal train at Pulga.

Date: 02/22/21 20:44
Author: SPgoletablock

-Great stuff !

Date: 02/22/21 21:01
Author: photobob

All the Quincy Railroad shots are outstanding. A nice use of different focal length lenses on all the shots. A quality photo shoot.

Robert Morris
Dunsmuir, CA
Robert Morris Photography

Date: 02/22/21 22:02
Author: Mr-Beechcroft

Love the pic at Williams Loop.

Adam

Date: 02/22/21 22:29
Author: Ritzville

Really NICE series.

Larry

Date: 02/22/21 23:56
Author: phthithu

Very cool post. Thanks for the excellent narrative to go along with the images. 

Date: 02/23/21 02:46
Author: pedrop

Very nice series. I visited this shortline in July 2011 with my american friend Greg. I could also visit Keddie Wye and Williams loop and a bit of the Feather River canyon. Your photos brought back the recollections of that nice day. Thanks.

Pedro Rezende
Vespasiano MG,
https://youtube.com/c/minasgeraisrailways1

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/21 02:53 by pedrop.

Date: 02/23/21 06:27
Author: Copy19

Over the many years when my wife and I vacationed in Graeagle we used to run down to Quincy to shop at the Safeway.  I always meant to check out the Quincy Railway but never did.  Your great series really filled in a hole for me.

JB - Omaha

Date: 02/23/21 06:51
Author: SP8595

Killer series!

Date: 02/23/21 08:42
Author: BoilingMan

Brilliant!
Well planned and executed!
SR

Date: 02/23/21 08:50
Author: wingomann

Copy19 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Over the many years when my wife and I vacationed
> in Graeagle we used to run down to Quincy to shop
> at the Safeway.  I always meant to check out the
> Quincy Railway but never did.  Your great series
> really filled in a hole for me.
>
> JB - Omaha

My wife,kids and I also vacationed at Graeagle for many years.  A couple of times I took them out to Quincy Junction.  One time the Quincy Railroad brought a couple of loads up to the interchange.  It was cool to see and hear the SW dragging the loads up the grade.  We would also chase trains - usually westbounds.  We would get ahead of them and watch them go through Williams Loop.  The road down to the loop is pretty rough and my kids always said it was like riding the Indianna Jones ride at Disneyland.  Lots of very fun memories of our time up there.  

Date: 02/23/21 09:18
Author: PasadenaSub

Great photo essay!

Rich

Date: 02/23/21 10:13
Author: jimB

I was looking forward to seeing your photos from this trip. I knew they would be great, The coverage of the QRR is excellent. Great to see what they are up to these days. Been a long time (back to the Alco) since I watched them!

Jim B

Date: 02/23/21 11:16
Author: zephyrus

Nice set of shots and great look at the Quincy!

Z

Date: 02/23/21 12:07

Thanks for all of the kind words, everyone! I have a questions for the railroaders on here... Why doesnt the North Platte Manifest just handle the interchange at Quincy Junction. It seems like a perfect PSR solution to cut the LRC60 job off the books. 

Date: 02/23/21 12:58
Author: callum_out

Doesn't the North Platte manifest run East over the hill? Remember that the local also services Herlong. 

Out 

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0952 seconds