Home Open Account Help 377 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Keddie at Night

Date: 02/23/21 12:15
Keddie at Night
Author: SCUfoamer

While railfanning the Feather River Canyon, you really need to go with the flow. Trains sit for hours, lighting conditions can change on a dime, and there just isn't much traffic. We found ourselves at Keddie moments after sundown, but had 3 different trains moving across the wye. I forgot my shutter release, so I was limited to 30 second exposures. Here is a small selection of my efforts. I hope JMF1910 chimes in and shares his superior long exppsures.

1. BNSF NB entering the Gateway Sub enroute to Klamath Falls

2. UP WB gets color to proceed west after the BNSF. This was a 15,000 ton Gpysum train with 99 loads. Otherwise known as the coke train for reasons that hopefully don't need to be explained

3. The Ex-WP now UP crew office at Keddie. All lights on, not a soul inside. A cool tribute to the WP tagged in the window and proudly left alone by the UP guys. 

Date: 02/23/21 17:16
Re: Keddie at Night
Author: jmf1910

NIcely done, dude! I really like the angle you chose for the BN northbound which captures more of the snow.

You coerced me into editing my night shots...

1) Northbound BN diverging from the UP Canyon Sub onto the BNSF Gateway Sub. 1 minute exposure.
2) Westbound OEGM1 17 (gypsum loads from Empire Mine in Gerlach, NV to Calwa (Fresno), CA) splitting the searchlights at West Keddie. 3.5 moinute exposure.
3) Westbound MNPFR 13 (manifest from North Platte, NE to Fresno, CA) heading across the UP leg of the Keddie Wye. 8 minute exposure.

Date: 02/23/21 18:13
Author: pedrop

Great series. I miss Keddie. I was there in 2011.

Pedro Rezende
Vespasiano MG,
https://youtube.com/c/minasgeraisrailways1

Date: 02/23/21 18:29

Jon, nice work. I really like your 3rd shot of the MNPFR 13 - It is easy to see the advantage to having more time on the exposure. So many more details and lighting effects than the 30 second ones. Glad you got at least 3 shots edited :)

Date: 02/24/21 03:34
Author: rrpreservation

Neat series!!! Thank you for sharing your photos.

Date: 02/24/21 05:56
Author: trainjunkie

Nice work kid. ;-)

Date: 02/24/21 09:45
Author: BobB

I haven't been in the area for a few years, but I always understood that there was no longer any public access to Keddie.  Am I wrong?  I'd love to go there if it's possible.

Date: 02/24/21 12:10

BobB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I haven't been in the area for a few years, but I
> always understood that there was no longer any
> public access to Keddie.  Am I wrong?  I'd love
> to go there if it's possible.

I'd reccomend driving up to the depot at Keddie and making that call for youself :)

Date: 02/25/21 15:09
Author: ns1000

Very nice..!!

Date: 02/25/21 15:52
Author: TomG

BobB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I haven't been in the area for a few years, but I
> always understood that there was no longer any
> public access to Keddie.  Am I wrong?  I'd love
> to go there if it's possible.

I think what your getting that info from is there is a sign on a driveway off highway 70 to a residence at the bottom next to the creek that says no bridge access. Take the road into Keddie Resort and you can zip right up to railroad property.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0558 seconds