Home Open Account Help 358 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > What type of service are these used for?

Date: 02/24/21 08:58
What type of service are these used for?
Author: ns2557

Not the greatest shots but all I could manage. Saw these 3 cars in the BNSF Yard in Pueblo on Sun Feb 21. Some sort of Tank car. Car number on one closest to camera is BNSF 933016. UMLR lists it as a MoW-Scale-Passenger-Caboose-End of train. AAR Mech Desig is MW and AAR Type is M100.  My guess is that they are headed for the TTC in Pueblo. But what are they used for? Any one know?  Thanks, Ben

Date: 02/24/21 09:02
Re: What type of service are these used for?
Author: bnsf70mac

They look like fire train cars. Thats my quess.

Mike

Date: 02/24/21 09:09
Author: Texican65

Yes, water service cars for fire fighting.

Those look pretty new. The ones we have here in PNW are from the 1940’s and 50’s.

Nice catch.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 02/24/21 13:31
Author: MrPop

Here's another modern BNSF firefighting car in Missoula in 2013.

Date: 02/24/21 19:41
Author: NWRail

BNSF keeps a fire train kept at Pasco, Washington.  Instead of tank cars, it uses bulkheaded flat cars with large plastic tanks mounted on them.  Here is a news article from September, 2020, which features the fire train working in the Yakima River canyon between Ellensburg and Yakima: https://www.yakimaherald.com/news/local/fire-train-helps-battle-blaze-in-yakima-river-canyon/article_2de26da0-7ada-5eaa-bee2-2eded4668f32.html

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0417 seconds