Home Open Account Help 323 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Talgo funeral train Coast Route

Date: 03/02/21 07:54
Talgo funeral train Coast Route
Author: mile250

A favorite photo location, Highway 227 over the UP (former SP) Coast Line, in the Edna Valley south of San Luis Obispo CA. March 1, 2021. Photo by Gary See (reduced size and resolution here). These Talgo train sets had been used in "Cascade" service between Seattle, Portland, and Eugene. Destination is a scrap/salvage operation in the Los Angeles area. The mechanics and interiors appear to be in good condition. Hopefully they can still be used somewhere, if not in the Pacific Northwest or California.

Date: 03/02/21 08:21
Re: Talgo funeral train Coast Route
Author: Curt

Nice shot.  What time are these due in LA?

Date: 03/02/21 08:46
Author: LarryB

It's a good thing that the Talgo is being put out of it's misery.  It's, by far, the ugliest train I've ever seen.  I'm not surprised that the populus of the PNW want it taken away.

Date: 03/02/21 09:30
Author: schphink

Actually the Talgos are pretty well-liked up here in Washington.  They not be your cup of tea visually, but they are a super-smooth ride and the interiors were always clean and comfortable.  Sorry to see these trainsets go - much nicer than the Horizon cars in my opinion.

Date: 03/02/21 09:49
Author: TAW

LarryB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm not surprised that the
> populus of the PNW want it taken away.

They didn't.

TAW

Date: 03/02/21 10:49
Author: Espee2019

I imagine an intoxicated bystander trying to explain "A funny train that went by... and this train... had a bridge with it.  The bridge went by too..."

Date: 03/02/21 15:04
Author: agent1522

The Talgos were and are very well liked here in the PNW.  No thanks to the NTSB, we are going to be stuck with that junk from Bombardier.  At least for the time being, we still have the two Oregon Talgos.  Yes, they are ugly, but the ride is far superior to anything that Amtrak owns.

Date: 03/02/21 15:19
Author: 1500fan

We rode twice from Portland to Vancover. Very smooth, quiet, comfortable. 

Date: 03/02/21 15:21
Author: isambard

I agree, the Talgo train set is ugly, but the interiors are well-designed and comfortable. Definitely a step up from some of the vintage cars on the Coast Starlate.  New-ish train sets are a good thing, and riders generally love the Cascades service.

Date: 03/02/21 15:24
Author: Arkeytek

The one time I rode them - Seattle to Vancouver - was after taking the Starlight from LA to Seattle. We were on our way to an Inland Passage cruse. The ride was smooth and the views out the large windows wonderful. May look bad from the outside, but my family loved them more than the Superliners. 

Date: 03/03/21 02:51
Author: gobbl3gook

That's a great looking trainset on this line.  California should buy them and put them in daily service LAX-SFO!  

Ted in OR

Date: 03/03/21 14:48
Author: chakk

Rode the Talgos several times between Edmonds and Vancover, BC.  We really enjoyed the food in the Bistro car.

Date: 03/04/21 16:58
Author: NYCLV

Talgo were appreciate and rode my lots of people in PNW, and not just railfans
Many people preferred and chose the Talgo vs the Starlight.
I was told by crews they had problems with passengers carry on luggage when equipment was substituted

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.037 seconds