Home Open Account Help 390 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > MRL Double Track

Date: 03/03/21 07:29
MRL Double Track
Author: jayman

I read sometime ago that the MRL was going to build double track from Missoula to somewhere between Garrison and Missoula, did that ever get done? Here is an old article.
https://www.montanarail.com/2018/05/double-track-montana-rail-link-wants-to-hasten-trains-through-missoula/

Date: 03/03/21 07:46
Re: MRL Double Track
Author: monaddave

jayman Wrote:
>>MRL was going to build double track from Missoula to somewhere between Garrison and Missoula>>

Don't embellish that fluff more than it says. They did extend East Missoula east another mile to near a Clark Fork River bridge, and they did repatriate the siding at Phosphate from a 14,000+ foot non-controlled siding to CTC and upgraded the switches and some of the rail. That is all they have done between Missoula and Garrison. Other capacity betterments was getting rid of the hemmed in (by grade crossings and 2 single track bridges) 6,000 foot siding at Avon and replacing it with a newer 13,000 foot siding to the west, named Bradley. Also on the Tenth Sub (Evaro line), they extended the siding at Dixon and made it CTC. 
Dave in Polson... MT

Date: 03/03/21 08:00
Author: jayman

monaddave Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> jayman Wrote:
> >>MRL was going to build double track from
> Missoula to somewhere between Garrison and
> Missoula>>
>
> Don't embellish that fluff more than it says. They
> did extend East Missoula east another mile to near
> a Clark Fork River bridge, and they did repatriate
> the siding at Phosphate from a 14,000+ foot
> non-controlled siding to CTC and upgraded the
> switches and some of the rail. That is all they
> have done between Missoula and Garrison. Other
> capacity betterments was getting rid of the hemmed
> in (by grade crossings and 2 single track bridges)
> 6,000 foot siding at Avon and replacing it with a
> newer 13,000 foot siding to the west, named
> Bradley. Also on the Tenth Sub (Evaro line), they
> extended the siding at Dixon and made it CTC. 
> Dave in Polson... MT

Intresting thanks for the Info Dave, I haven't been keeping up with the MRL lately.

Date: 03/03/21 10:51
Author: BigSkyBlue

Don't forget that most of the right of way and bridges are still there since Missoula to Garrison was double track on the NP until 1959, when CTC was installed.  BSB  

Date: 03/03/21 12:04
Author: donner_dude1

-------------------------------
> Also on the Tenth Sub (Evaro line),
> they
> > extended the siding at Dixon and made it CTC. 
> > Dave in Polson... MT
>
When I visited the area in October, the new Dixon siding was stuffed full of tank cars. I guess car storage $$ superceeded the need to have meets on the 10th Sub.

Date: 03/03/21 12:48
Author: monaddave

BigSkyBlue Wrote: >>right of way and bridges are still there since Missoula to Garrison was double track on the NP until 1959>>

Right, and the single track has been moved to the center of the three tunnels for clearances.

Donner wrote..>>new Dixon siding was stuffed full of tank cars. I guess car storage $$ >>

Those cars were only removed a little while ago.
Dave

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0439 seconds