Home Open Account Help 319 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > I've Always Wanted This Shot....

Date: 03/03/21 20:01
I've Always Wanted This Shot....
Author: BoilingMan

#5 Heading up the Truckee River, near the CA/NV State Line.
SR

Date: 03/03/21 20:52
Re: I've Always Wanted This Shot....
Author: RailDawg

Great photo!

My brother and I have been to that spot dozens of times. Great place to hang out and watch trains.

The powerplant has been redone in the past few years... we've been going past this spot for over 50 years.

Well done!

Chuck

Date: 03/03/21 22:03
Author: ShoreLineRoute

Beautiful model RR prototype scene!  Is the flume in the background no longer maintained?  Is there a good source for the history of that structure?

Thanks!
Oliver Barrett

Date: 03/03/21 22:10
Author: RailDawg

Yep the flume still works and it powers a generator housed in that building by the bridge. We saw crews completely redoing the flume area above the powerhouse maybe a couple years ago.

The flume I think has 2 parts... there is a section further up that no longer carries water. As a kid 50 years ago I remember the whole section of flume being used.

Chuck

Date: 03/04/21 07:50
Author: FiveChime

A+

Regards, Jim Evans

Date: 03/04/21 07:59
Author: WAF

Nice shot

Date: 03/04/21 09:32
Author: SCUfoamer

Very nice. I need to mark this on my calendar! A rare sighting of Boilingman east of Truckee :)

Date: 03/04/21 09:41

Ha! Yeah- I need to get out more often.
A friend said he was going to p/u #6 at Colfax and chase them until he ran out of light (turned out to be a bit shy of Lovelock), then follow 5 home in the morning.
I took up his offer to tag along.
SR

Date: 03/04/21 10:24
Author: jimB

That's a great shot. Did you use a drone? I've seen that spot from I-80 and wondered if you could legaly drive in there.

Jim B

Date: 03/04/21 11:00

Yes- definitely a drone shot.
Yes- It’s easy public access. There’s even a wide area to park in. It’s a place that must be popular with the fishing crowd (there was a box for a register to report catches, I suppose for stocking or something? (I don’t know noth’n bout no fish)
SR

Date: 03/04/21 13:25
Author: bobk

Nice shot!

Date: 03/04/21 14:12
Author: chakk

Three coaches and three sleepers for social distancing?

Date: 03/04/21 14:41
Author: winstonhill

It looks like a model railroad because it's shot from an angle that corresponds to the angle we usually view model railroads from.

Winston Hill

Date: 03/04/21 16:12
Author: WoodrowStool

Absolutely gorgeous shot, really incredible.  This is less than 10 miles from me, I head over to Verdi now and again to take in the scenery.  The Sasquatch Tavern in Verdi is absolutely great for lunch (I'm partial to the shrimp tacos).  Where did you park?

Date: 03/04/21 16:43

Thanks!
From Verdi you drive out on Quilici Ranch Road. It parallels the tracks west out of town. It gets you within a quarter mile of the RR bridges.
SR

Date: 03/04/21 18:07
Author: atsf121

Fantastic photo BoilingMan! Loved that stretch of 80 as a kid with the river, the trains, and the flume leaking water all over the place.

Nathan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 03/04/21 18:22
Author: WoodrowStool

Yes, I've driven out Quilici Ranch Road many times, but never hiked in to the flume and the bridge.  That is such a great spot, even with I-80 close by it is just calm and gorgeous - and then you might catch a train!

Believe it or not, the entire Quilici Ranch Road area is (maybe) going to be a sub-division sometime soon - permits have been applied for.  I hope those people like trains.  RIP to Verdi.

Date: 03/05/21 05:45
Author: texchief1

Excellent shot!

RC Lundgren
Elgin, TX

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0533 seconds