Home Open Account Help 283 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Barstow's First Avenue Bridge to be replaced

Date: 03/30/21 17:43
Barstow's First Avenue Bridge to be replaced
Author: trainjunkie

With all the recent talk of the Mt. Vernon overpass in San Bernardino, the the "Twin Bridges" in East Victorville being removed/replaced, it's worth mentioning that the First Ave. bridge over the "Old Yard" in Barstow is scheduled to be replaced soon. Get your pix while you can.

https://www.vvdailypress.com/story/business/transportation/2021/03/28/barstows-first-avenue-bridge-must-come-down-after-replacement-complete-officials-says/7028958002/?

Date: 03/30/21 19:41
Re: Barstow's First Avenue Bridge to be replaced
Author: oyw

Thank you for the link and here's a grab shot of part of the bridge taken last Sunday morning.

Date: 03/31/21 10:43
Author: cabanillas

That's a Pre-Columbian artifact.

Date: 03/31/21 12:32
Author: 2-10-2

That bridge was the connector from old Route 66 thru Barstow to highways 91/466 that went to Vegas in pre-Interstate 15 days.

Date: 03/31/21 16:04
Author: coach

US 466 also went WEST to Mojave-Tehachapi- Bakersfield--the road mentioned in "The Grapes of Wrath" as they swung downhill by Woodford.

Date: 03/31/21 16:29
Author: pedrop

It is necesssry to change it, but it is a sad news for those who loves these old bridges type. I visited Barstow in 2013 and had a chance to photograph many trains from that bridge. 

Pedro Rezende
Vespasiano MG,
https://youtube.com/c/minasgeraisrailways1

Date: 04/01/21 06:47
Author: MrMRL

I'm genuinely amazed they are actually going to replace the thing and not just simply remove the dated crossing over the old Barstow yard all together. The much shorter and newer Yucca Ave crossing is just one mile to the east of this location. I'd bet BNSF would prefer to simply eliminate the over crossing.

I get the historical context of the location and all, but 99.5% of the vehicles through Barstow cross under the RR tracks on I-15 already and probably don't even know or care that this particular spot is/was where Route 66 ran. And they won't be making the detour through downtown just to see the new bridge, adding 5 min drive time to or from Las Vegas.

That said, Bravo to Barstow for sticking to their historical roots to build a completely new bridge complex through the area.

~ Mr. MRL

Date: 04/01/21 10:53
Author: jst3751

MrMRL Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm genuinely amazed they are actually going to
> replace the thing and not just simply remove the
> dated crossing over the old Barstow yard all
> together. The much shorter and newer Yucca Ave
> crossing is just one mile to the east of this
> location. I'd bet BNSF would prefer to simply
> eliminate the over crossing.

The 1st Street bridge is the main connection between Barstow and the North Barstow area.

The Yucca Ave bridge and Riverside Dr is an undersized and LONG WAY AROUND for local traffic to get between Barstow and North Barstow.

Date: 04/01/21 11:11
Author: callum_out

This has been annunced since the 70s, nice to maybe finally see it happen?

Out 

Date: 04/01/21 12:01
Author: Copy19

I remember seeing the early Santa Fe FTs from that bridge.  Also it sticks in my mind -- or rather stomach -- that Route 66 between Barstow and Cajon Pass was really an up and down sea sick ride as it followed the railroad. 

Copy19 - Omaha

Date: 04/01/21 13:21
Author: callum_out

Yes there was a stretch East of Oro Grande that wasn't fun in the back seat and I swear Dad was
trying to get all four wheels off the ground.

Out 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0438 seconds