Home Open Account Help 301 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Now I Know What I Slept Through On Amtrak

Date: 04/04/21 21:17
Now I Know What I Slept Through On Amtrak
Author: tq-07fan

Today is the end of the second week of a three week trip to see what I slept through in Oklahoma and Kansas. I had only been through Oklahoma asleep in the back seat of a Dodge K Car Wagon in 1986, but I did wake up to eat at the over the road McDonald's at Vinita Oklahoma. Kansas I had only been through on the Amtrak Southwest Chief and was asleep across the entire state. Well today after starting out from Manhattan and spending some extra time in Salina getting a new tire after putting a gouge in one I got see part of what I slept through on Amtrak so many years ago. I caught up to this westbound around Offerie Kansas, took the first picture while driving and the second I stopped for. I will say although I was really surprised at how beautiful some of the areas along I-70 are, but this part of Kansas is seriously flat. Pretty cool though, I heard the Eastbound Southwest Chief through my open window of the hotel here in Garden City Kansas and will bet there are people on the train who wonder what is happening outside in the dark, if they are still awake. At least now I know what I slept through...

Jim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/21 21:19 by tq-07fan.

Date: 04/04/21 22:03
Re: Now I Know What I Slept Through On Amtrak
Author: cabsignaldrop

Neat!

Posted from Android

Date: 04/05/21 07:18
Author: ns2557

Looks like one of the Auto Rack trains to Denver Co. A few lately have their origins at Newton Ks and run as a V NEWDEN going to Big Lift which is on the Colo Joint Line south of Denver. Nice shots. Ben

Date: 04/05/21 09:50
Author: masterphots

Follow the former Rock Island line across northern Kansas and you'll discover the state is not entirely flat.

Date: 04/05/21 19:51
Author: tq-07fan

ns2557 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Looks like one of the Auto Rack trains to Denver
> Co. A few lately have their origins at Newton Ks
> and run as a V NEWDEN going to Big Lift which is
> on the Colo Joint Line south of Denver. Nice
> shots. Ben

Not sure as it did have have other freight behind the auto racks. The driver on the bus in Dodge City said there were at least several trains a day through Dodge City still. At least enough to delay the buses.

masterphots Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Follow the former Rock Island line across northern
> Kansas and you'll discover the state is not
> entirely flat.

You ain't never lied! I rode from Joplin MO to Wichita, then to Salina, then to Topeka on the Bee Line Express buses and Greyhound to see Kansas before I drove anywhere. After seeing rolling prairies in southeastern Kansas it was flat between Wichita and Salina. Then east of Salina and especially around Junction City and Manhattan I had to wonder if this was still the same state. There is some variety here.

Jim

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0447 seconds