Home Open Account Help 308 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Easter Weekend in Eastern Iowa

Date: 04/05/21 17:36
Easter Weekend in Eastern Iowa
Author: MILW86A

I had to dj a wedding in Monticello Iowa over the weekend, so on Sunday my little brother and I took a short ride from Marion to Lowden Iowa and return and today I took the folks and younger brother to Muscatine to get their C 19 shot. I managed to get a few train photos as well. 

Sunday we started at Smyth Road at MP 69 on the UP Clinton Sub. This location is between Bertram and Mt. Vernon and the climb up Mt. Vernon hill.  First up was a loaded coal train 1 x1 C-NAWK9-02

Behind the load was a EB Stack I-TAG4-01 for Global 4. My question for the UP guys or someone in the know is how does this route via Chicago to Global 4?? 

Managed a WB here too, M-CHNPX-03 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/21 17:37 by MILW86A.

Date: 04/05/21 17:39
Re: Easter Weekend in Eastern Iowa

We followed the EB Stack towards Lowden then made our way back west because the Afternoon Bird was leaving Clinton. Here he is going like a Streamliner of old at Stanwood, IA 
Z-G2BRB out of Global 2 in Proviso to Brooklyn/Portland OR. Way back in the day this used to be the old CSPDZ train. 

Date: 04/05/21 17:42

Today after the my parents shots and lunch at the Maid Rite we drove up thru the Quad Cities to Clinton then back west. 

First up was CP 475 at Linwood waiting to get into Nahant Yard. 

Then some power around the Nahant Roundhouse. 

Then a pair of big BNSF motors on 475-04 crossing River Drive 

Date: 04/05/21 17:46

At Le Claire, IA we then caught 2-474-05 with pretty much all empty auto racks out of Cottage Grove heading to be loaded at Kansas City. 

On the way back home we saw a stopped WB UP Stacker, so I got it at Stanwood. 3 x1 for power. 

I then headed back for greater Des Moines after dropping my folks and brother off. It was a good day, especially being with my dad who got me into this hobby so many years ago 

Thank you for looking. 

MILW86A 

Date: 04/05/21 20:07
Author: zachpratt

MILW86A Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
 My question for the UP guys or someone
> in the know is how does this route via Chicago to
> Global 4?? 

Last I heard, the Global IV traffic still takes the Geneva Sub to Provo JCT, then the IHB to ARGO to jump on the CN Joliet Sub into downtown Joliet where it then turns into UP trackage southbound. 
Nice photos!

Date: 04/05/21 20:13
Author: IC_2024

Nice series and story, MILW86A!   Good to see you enjoying the time w/ your fam and esp your Dad--'m sure he's very proud of you carrying on the hobby that he passed on to you.  Thanks for sharing!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/21 20:14 by IC_2024.

Date: 04/05/21 20:58
Author: CNW8531

Glad you got out and were able to mix business with pleasure!   Maybe next time we can hook up for a spell and get a Vitale's in the afternoon.

Date: 04/07/21 15:09
Author: Mid_Iowa_Rails

Nice catches, Dave! Looks like you had a productive weekend.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0432 seconds