Home Open Account Help 362 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Good Weathering Colors for Midwestern/Western Freight Trucks?

Date: 04/06/21 12:27
Good Weathering Colors for Midwestern/Western Freight Trucks?
Author: OnTheSiding

Hello all,

Doing a little ATSF-based diorama and am trying to find the right paint colors for midwestern/western freight car trucks.  To me, it seems light-ish brown with perhaps some rust might do. I am inclined toward paint rather than chalks or powder as paint will stick better...and I also have noticed that when I try to seal chalk or powder with a clear flat spray, the chalk or powder just blows off.  I welcome any suggestions for this type of weathering, especially specific colors.  I will likely brush-paint the trucks, as I cannot currently afford a compressor, as they are expensive (I have an airbrush sitting in the box).  I prefer water-based paints (my allergies, etc. do not like the stinky smell stuff).  Thus, I have used Badger Modelflex.  Just got some Misson Models paints the other day but have yet to try them.  Paint also seems to stick better to metal trucks and many of my cars are Kadee (which have metal trucks).

Thanks very much...

Date: 04/07/21 08:01
Re: Good Weathering Colors for Midwestern/Western Freight Trucks?
Author: Bob3985

You might consider adding some light gray dust too.
Fromm off the ballast.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 04/07/21 19:02
Re: Good Weathering Colors for Midwestern/Western Freight Trucks?
Author: OnTheSiding

Thanks for the good input, Bob.  A dusty gray would add character.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.048 seconds