Home Open Account Help 186 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > *Frequency of train traffic on UP's Coast Subdivision????

Date: 04/07/21 14:05
*Frequency of train traffic on UP's Coast Subdivision????
Author: jmulhol2

I've checked out UP's Coast Subdivision a few times along the single maintrack between the Salinas, CA --to-- Watsonville, CA, areas before; however, I have only caught Amtrak's Coast Starlight once. Does anyone know the frequency of train traffic (specifically freight) on this select portion of UP's Coast Subdivision? Thank you very much!! 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/21 14:11 by jmulhol2.

Date: 04/07/21 14:17
Re: *Frequency of train traffic on UP's Coast Subdivision?
Author: pdt

You're not seeing much cause there isnt much.

The salinas local (freight)  i believe is back to running days, 3 days a week to Salinas..and down to San Lucas 1 of those days, generally.
You may hear it called "the monterey" on the radio.

The Margarita Local runs sat nights, leaving WJ generally sometime after 7pm.  They work south salinas (spence road), Camphora, San Lucas, and Paso Robles.   On rare occasions. they will handle other traffic, mostly company MW cars.

Otherwise, there are just a few unscheduled moves a month on the coast...usually m/w, baretables, or autos.

Date: 04/07/21 14:41

Thank you so much for your reply! I greatly appreciate it. Please see my comments/questions on your replies below in bullet points.

You're not seeing much cause there isnt much.

• Darn! That is a shame... :(

The salinas local (freight)  i believe is back to running days, 3 days a week to Salinas..and down to San Lucas 1 of those days, generally.

• Do you happen to know the power on the Salinas Local? Also, does it run mornings or afternoons typically? Which radio frequncy would I tune to to listen for it? 
The Margarita Local runs sat nights, leaving WJ generally sometime after 7pm.  They work south salinas (spence road), Camphora, San Lucas, and Paso Robles.   On rare occasions. they will handle other traffic, mostly company MW cars.
  • What power is on the Margarita Local? Also, thank you for the heads up! 
Otherwise, there are just a few unscheduled moves a month on the coast...usually m/w, baretables, or autos.
  • So it is just a matter of waiting and listening to see if anything interesting is said on the scanner for unscheduled movements on the line? 

Date: 04/07/21 14:58
Author: pdt

• Do you happen to know the power on the Salinas Local? Also, does it run mornings or afternoons typically? Which radio frequncy would I tune to to listen for it? .....Usually 1 or 2 GP60's. sometimes GP40's.... Unless something has changed recently, al of the coast is on 160.680
  • What power is on the Margarita Local? Also, thank you for the heads up!   ...usually 2 GP60's. you may also here using the radio call "the rock"
  • So it is just a matter of waiting and listening to see if anything interesting is said on the scanner for unscheduled movements on the line? ...coast line movements ..https://groups.io/g/HeadsUpCoastFans/topics.  I think we had 3 other movements on the coast sub south of WJ last month.  2 M/W and 1 autos.

Date: 04/07/21 15:10

Thank you so much for all this useful information! I will be sure to tune to that radio frequency and listen out for train movements along this line. Also, I will check into that weblink that you shared. I greatly appreciate your time/feedback... I may reach out for more questions in the future, if that is okay? My name is Jake, by the way- nice to meet you!

Date: 04/07/21 17:22
Author: callum_out

Geez, quit yelling!

Out 

Date: 04/07/21 17:40
Author: chico

callum_out Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Geez, quit yelling!
>
> Out 

He's being bold. Not loud. Relax. It was easier for me to read, at my age.

chico

Date: 04/07/21 18:26
Author: PHall

callum_out Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Geez, quit yelling!
>
> Out 

ALL CAPS is yelling not bold.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/21 18:27 by PHall.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0634 seconds