Home Open Account Help 312 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > UP Joliet/Springfield IL Subs - 2 Main Track/Long Siding Amount

Date: 04/08/21 10:13
UP Joliet/Springfield IL Subs - 2 Main Track/Long Siding Amount
Author: AaronJ

The timetables I have for these two UP subdivisions between Joliet IL and St. Louis are a tad outdated. Obviously, speeds are now at a high-speed corridor level but I'm curious after all of the upgrades that the state of IL helped pay for, how much of this corridor is now two main track and/or number of siding extensions out to 3+ miles now? Appreciate any information you might have!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/21 10:15 by AaronJ.

Date: 04/08/21 10:36
Re: UP Joliet/Springfield IL Subs - 2 Main Track/Long Siding Amou
Author: ble692

The Joliet Sub has 2 sections of 2MT...
Joliet (MP 36.8) to Elwood (MP 44.7)
Hitt (MP 55.0) to Mazonia (MP 62.6)

All of the Joliet Sub sidings are long, but not all are quite to the 3 mile fad the UP is currently in. How they stack up...
Dwight - 12,375'
Odell - 12,760'
Pontiac - 11,770'
Ballard - 11,440'
Normal - 15,000'

The Springfield Sub has 2MT track from...
Broadwell (MP 161.6) to Elkhart (MP 170.4)
Virden (MP 206.0) to Morean (MP 214.4)
Shipman (MP 236.3) to Godfrey (MP 252.1)
Wann (MP 262.2) and Holl-In-The-Wall (MP 283.4) *this section is part CTC, part 9.14.2 ABS, part TWC

How the Springfield Sub sidings currently stand...
McLean - 12,430'
Athol - 10,010'
Ridgely - 8,470'
Auburn - 10,505'
Carlinville - 17,490'

Date: 04/08/21 11:50
Author: yes

Which has more traffic this one r ex c&either sub?

Posted from Android

Date: 04/08/21 17:38
Author: MEKoch

Thank you for the info.  This is really more double track than I expected.  

Date: 04/08/21 17:46
Author: mundo

The UP came out the winner on this line, thanks to State money, but the passenger trains did not do so well.  still 79 mph in place of up to 110, the increasing freight trains, delay the passengers.

Date: 04/08/21 18:59
Author: TAW

mundo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The UP came out the winner on this line, thanks to
> State money, but the passenger trains did not do
> so well.  still 79 mph in place of up to 110, the
> increasing freight trains, delay the passengers.
>

It goes to show that a contract isn't worth the paper it's printed on without a strong or else clause.

TAW

Date: 04/08/21 19:54
Author: mexrail

yes Wrote:
> Which has more traffic this one r ex c&either sub?
>
>
> Posted from Android

Good question.  I suspect the Joliet sub has more traffic than the ex-C&EI, at least more than on the north end of the CEI. Some of the Texas intermodal was moved from Yard Center to Global 4 and of course the CSX manifest and intermodal traffic gets interchanged downstate at St. Elmo(Salem for tariff purposes). Similarly,  NS used to get on UP at Sidney but not sure if that run-thru still exists.  Also Joliet sub now sees more CA. and AZ. intermodal that was moved over from the BNSF Transcon trackage rights route.  I assume there are still a couple of Chicago area-A&S trains on the ex-CEI.  As I said, good question.

Ive been gone too long to provide an accurate answer.  Let's hope we get a more knowlegable update.

Mexrail

Date: 04/08/21 21:53
Author: AaronJ

Great stuff indeed as I appreciate the info! I knew there was more 2 main track but didn't realize that almost 30% of the Joliet to St. Louis ex-GM&O route is now 2 main track. No wonder UP moved some of the Chicago-LA intermodal over to this route as between the drop in coal traffic across Missouri and this upgraded route, they essentially have a two main track route or route with significant two main track to expedite trains now.

Date: 04/09/21 07:09
Author: ronald321

I don't think the State paid for any of this upgrade.  All the money came from the Federal Stimulus Bill of 2009, plus 
some of the stimulus money Florida refused.

It's a sad fact that, so far, only U.P. freight operations have benefited from this money intended for passenger operations.

Regarding this route being 30% double track -- the negative (but correct) way of looking at this is: - 70% of  the double track
main has been ripped out over the years -- as the GM&O was completely double track from Chicago Union Station to St. Louis Union Station..

Nutshell:  Illinois got jobs; UP got a beautifully rebuilt railroad; Amtrak got nothing.

Date: 04/09/21 08:24
Author: ntharalson

Somewhat related to the topic:  When did they take Pequot out of service?  I was surprised a couple of years ago to discover that.  

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

Date: 04/09/21 13:26
Author: ble692

ntharalson Wrote:
> Somewhat related to the topic:  When did they
> take Pequot out of service?  I was surprised a
> couple of years ago to discover that.  

In the St Louis Area Timetable #4 effective 12/14/09, the Pequot Sub was entirely 10 mph and all movements had to be made at restricted speed.

In the St Louis Area Timetable #5 effective 5/27/13, the Pequot Sub was out of service and any movements had to be authorized by MOW.

In the current St Louis Area Timetable #6 effective 3/30/20, the Pequot Sub is no longer listed.

Can't narrow it down anymore than that.

Date: 04/09/21 18:34
Author: ntharalson

Thanks for the info.  

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

Date: 04/09/21 21:34
Author: kbmiflyer

I thought the Pequot Sub was back in service with the development of the Hoffman operation just south of Coal City?

Regarding the earlier question.  The traffic between the CEI and the GMO is probably a toss up if you exclude Amtrak.  The GMO gets about 3 inter-modals a day each way.  The only freight are the locals based in Bloomington and the Bloomington to Alton Southern job every other day, along with occasional unit grain trains.  The portion south of Springfield does get some freight action going to the Peoria Sub.

CE&I gets at least one intermodal still a day each way, plus a pretty good mix of freight including the daily MASPR and MPRAS.

Date: 04/10/21 07:13
Author: Drknow

TAW Wrote:
> mundo Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The UP came out the winner on this line, thanks
> to
> > State money, but the passenger trains did not
> do
> > so well.  still 79 mph in place of up to 110,
> the
> > increasing freight trains, delay the
> passengers.
> >
>
> It goes to show that a contract isn't worth the
> paper it's printed on without a strong or else
> clause.
>
> TAW

This!

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0597 seconds