Home Open Account Help 302 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > a new season for the Smoky Valley

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 06/23/21 13:43
a new season for the Smoky Valley
Author: santafe199

Borrowing a time-honored baseball term I was on hand for “opening day” for the Abilene & Smoky Valley steam season. Memorial Day weekend is the traditional first-run-of-the-year for their ex-Santa Fe 4-6-2 #3415. And I had company this year! I asked my almost kinda-sorta, but not quite father-in-law, the 95 year old Galen Prestwood if he wanted to go along with me on a regular chase. I explained that it would mean a total of over 3 hours riding around in my rig. He tends to get pretty stiff & sore at 2 hours, but he jumped all over the chance to go see the 3415! And I should add the word “again” to the end of that last sentence. Check this out: ( Toto Tuesday: a brand new railfan (trainorders.com) ).

1. Looking at ex-UP caboose 25466, the train is loaded & ready for departure which is just 6 minutes away here at Abilene, KS. The depressing overcast weather has certainly put a damper on passenger turnout. But it will give me a chance to shoot a few new angles from the north side of the chase. Here we go:

Date: 06/23/21 13:46
Re: a new season for the Smoky Valley

2. At 10:01 AM the excursion is officially under way. From the afore-mentioned north side here is the 3415 playing stare-down with my vertical, 140mm format. That’s the old Rock Island depot from Abilene in the background. It was originally moved to its present location to become part of the “Old Abilene Town” tourist attraction created in the early 1960s. It’s still considered part of the attraction, but I believe it is now used exclusively as a ticket office for the A&SV.

3. It looks deep-in-the-woods, but technically this is still inside Abilene city limits, just barely. We’re looking west from the S Brady St crossing.

4. The away shot puts the train outside Abilene city limits. There’s a rear crewman giving me “the look” as his ex-UP chariot rolls way into the crappy weather.

Date: 06/23/21 13:48

The next few images (5-12) were taken looking south from rural Dickinson County 2200 Avenue, a sort of secondary road short-cut between Abilene & Enterprise...

5. At maybe a mile out of Abilene here is a full-train broadside shot impossible to get from the sunny side. (whenever there is sunshine, that is... ;^)

6. Just a bit further down the road a close-up shows off the 3415’s fine profile.

Date: 06/23/21 13:50

7. & 8. At nearly 3 miles out of Abilene the 3415 + train are playing peek-a-boo behind this farmstead.

9. Looking south through 210mm @ 400 ISO creates a ‘noisy’ effect, but I like the composition of the pole line, the train, the cars and Jeep Rd climbing away in the background. This is the unofficial half-way point between Abilene & Enterprise...
(Photos 1-9 are considered to be Abilene, KS for a location)

Date: 06/23/21 13:52

10. The train is now a bit over 2 miles out of Enterprise, skimming through these trees.

11. The 3415 is right on the seldom-used Key Rd crossing. This dirt (MUD!!) road is a total disaster area for vehicular traffic unless it’s completely dry...

12. One more farm to dodge behind before the train arrives in Enterprise.

Date: 06/23/21 13:54

13. & 14. The train has arrived in Enterprise. Passengers can disembark and walk up the short, ramped pathway to the ‘Hoffman Grist Mill’. Meanwhile...

Date: 06/23/21 13:55

15. & 16. ...the A&SV crew detaches the 3415 so they can “run around” the train. The engine & train will run backwards back to Abilene.

17. While the A&SV flagman lines the switch I grab a 140mm peek into the 3415’s cab. BTW: on July 4 my 95-year-old, pseudo father-in-law plus yours truly will be passengers in that cab!

Date: 06/23/21 13:57

18. Some of the passengers have gathered to watch the almost-ritual coupling up on the rear end between the 3415 & the ex-UP caboose.

19. I just couldn’t pass up this young mother doing a “selfie” with her little tyke in crook of her arm.
(Photos 10-19 are considered to be Enterprise, KS for a location)

Date: 06/23/21 13:58

Have you got time for just one more...

20. Here’s the 3415 + train backing into the loading track upon their return to Abilene. If the sun was shining, the harsh shadows on this side of the train would render the shot not worthy of a second glance...
ALL photos taken May 31, 2021.

Thanks for riding along!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Date: 06/23/21 14:09
Author: Rathole

BRAVO!   Great series of photos!. 

Date: 06/23/21 14:59
Author: nycman

I agree.  Great series.  Thanks for posting your experience.

Date: 06/23/21 15:19
Author: texchief1

Good chase, Lance

Randy Lundgren

Date: 06/23/21 15:59
Author: UP951West

Your ATSF 3415 slide show is very well done !  Thanks for sharing .  --Kelly

Date: 06/23/21 18:16
Author: Locoinsp

Great coverage of opening day! I need to put this operation on my "to do" list! Hmmmm, Going to Colorado Springs in August, wonder if I can talk my wife into a detour......

Date: 06/23/21 18:56
Author: Gonut1

Lance,
I think I'm glad it rained on your parade! Great series of a super looking engine that we would all have missed if it were a sunny day.
Sure 3415 would look right at home rolling down that "new" second track at 60 MPH in your earlier post. I almost said that when I replied to that post and, well here it is, a new opportunity to say it.
The 3415 sure could use a mainline to stretch her legs.
Go

Date: 06/23/21 19:15

Gonut1 Wrote: > ... 3415 sure could use a mainline to stretch her legs ...

Probably more than we know!!! I remember a few years ago talking to an engineer who was experienced with steam. He just finished a run over to Enterprise & back. He told me; "Man, all you gotta do is touch the throttle, and you can tell THIS baby wants to get up and run with the wind!"

:^)

Date: 06/23/21 21:39
Author: Ritzville

Very NICE and interesting series! Well done!

Larry

Date: 06/24/21 06:19
Author: switchlock

"BRAVO!   Great series of photos!."  "I agree.  Great series.  Thanks for posting your experience."
What they said!

Date: 06/24/21 08:33
Author: jtwlunch

Excellent coverage.

Date: 06/25/21 18:03
Author: SantaFeCF7

I can’t wait to go back and ride October 3rd. This will be my 3rd ride with ASVRR since last year and my first behind the steam engine. I have a feeling I will come back at least once before then to ride since it’s so close to KC and relaxing. Plus the mill in Enterprise sells some tasty bison meat for a few bucks a pound cheaper than Walmart!

Posted from iPhone

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0886 seconds