Home Open Account Help 317 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Another Derailment!

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 07/16/21 04:54
Another Derailment!
Author: CaliforniaSteam

Just got word of another derailment. This time its on the Caliente Sub between Las Vegas and Milford, UT. The train this time is the ZLADV. It occur ed yesterday and that it did involve the locomotives so I hope nobody was injured. Derailments seem to be on the rise on the PSR Pacific. Starting to look like the CSXT of a few years ago (no rides/no crews/no power/no maintenance/no employee morale). 

CS

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/21 04:56 by CaliforniaSteam.

Date: 07/16/21 06:01
Re: Another Derailment!
Author: cjvrr

My son has been a recent frequent chaser on that line.   Derailment was in Lund, UT.   Three units on the ground and several cars.  One crew member hurt badly other two minor injuries.   Seems like they may have hit a washout.

This puts a damper on any detours they were sending up that line.

Date: 07/16/21 07:18
Author: funnelfan

That makes Donner the only currently viable north-south route west of the Rockies.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 07/16/21 07:23
Author: gravelboy

Is this UP?

Date: 07/16/21 07:26
Author: ns1000

A washout is an uncontrollable event...

I hope everyone is ok. I would say the crew definitely had a "pucker" moment...?!

Posted from Android

Date: 07/16/21 07:31
Author: bmarti7

Next possible routing from LA to PNW would be Sunset to El Paso, then GSR to Dalhart, TX where there's a connecting track to BNSF to head northwest to Pueblo. That's a stretch but possible. Otherwise it's the GSR to Topeka and then back west to North Platte (for PNW traffic). Chicago-bound would switch to BNSF at Hutchinson and continue on BNSF trackage rights to Illinois (as it does already).

BB

Date: 07/16/21 07:36

gravelboy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is this UP?

Yes

Date: 07/16/21 07:39
Author: GenePoon

Power reported as UP 2766, UP 6823, NS 4450, and another UP GEVO. Crew was rescued from where they stood on top of the overturned lead unit.

Another alternate route: Los Angeles-Bakersfield-Roseville (Donner Pass) Sparks-Ogden. Ex-Western Pacific not an option due to the Dixie Fire and another fire near Beckwourth Pass.

Date: 07/16/21 07:56

Date: 07/16/21 07:58
Author: Copy19

Here's a link to newspaper coverage with photos.  It shows several piled up auto racks behind the derailed motors.

<https://www.stgeorgeutah.com/news/archive/2021/07/16/jmr-3-workers-rescued-after-freight-train-derailment-in-iron-county/#.YPGdMi08KhA>

JB - Omaha

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/21 08:08 by Copy19.

Date: 07/16/21 08:23
Author: cchan006

CaliforniaSteam Wrote:
> Derailments seem to be on the rise on the PSR Pacific.
> Starting to look like the CSXT of a few years ago (no rides/no
> crews/no power/no maintenance/no employee morale). 
>
> CS

Yup. Casual observers might dismiss your comment because this one seemed to have been caused by a washout. Well, cyborgs don't know the world isn't perfect. Ya can't cut costs so much as to ignore unforseen events.

I remember talking to my boss several years ago regarding workplace issues, that the "cost-saving" automation tools were actually time-wasting (and money wasting). He surprisingly agreed, but he sarcastically said there was no data to support my claim. Besides, even if I was right, he said that the senior management had "invested" so much money in the tools that they'll never give it up ("sunk cost fallacy").

I also suspected senior management was manipulating data to justify the tools.

Years later, new senior management team came in. Real people (not cyborgs) who understood the sunk cost fallacy, so they got rid of the tools to stop the bleeding. Happier more productive employees for starters, and privately, I felt vindicated. 

Sorry for the lengthy diatribe, but it shouldn't have to take natural disasters (fires, washouts) to expose PSR as a massive fraud. Since Omaha doesn't listen to genuine employee concerns, seems the only solution is a derailment within the C suite to get rid of the cyborgs.

Date: 07/16/21 08:56
Author: ns1000

And washouts happened before PSR....
You can't prevent everything (no matter HOW HARD you try).

As far as "cost cutting", those are MILD words to describe what the Class 1s are doing..??!!!

Posted from Android

Date: 07/16/21 09:02
Author: cajon

All UP Z trains are going by Mojave.
One north at Highland closing doors.
Dennis

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/16/21 09:03
Author: cchan006

ns1000 Wrote:
> And washouts happened before PSR....

Washouts don't exist for people who make "cost cutting" decisions. More mission critical organizations (military) always have alternate plans ("redundancy") to make sure resources aren't barebones.

> You can't prevent everything (no matter HOW HARD
> you try).

It's not about prevention. It's about how to handle unforseen events better. I don't think you realize how stupid some of your bosses are.

> As far as "cost cutting", those are MILD words to
> describe what the Class 1s are doing..??!!!

Date: 07/16/21 09:24
Author: portlander

cjvrr Wrote:
> My son has been a recent frequent chaser on that
> line.   Derailment was in Lund, UT.   Three
> units on the ground and several cars.  One crew
> member hurt badly other two minor injuries. 
>  Seems like they may have hit a washout.
>
> This puts a damper on any detours they were
> sending up that line.
>  

The IBRLC is/was the only I5 detour on this line.

Date: 07/16/21 09:55
Author: callum_out

The area has been hit hard by thunderstorms for the last few days, once a day (if that) inspections don't always
catch washout damage.

Out 

Date: 07/16/21 10:32
Author: dan

WEATHER SERVICE DIDN'T CATCH IT?

Date: 07/16/21 10:38

Great and we saw 36 hours under a flash flood advisory and didn't have a drop! A track inspector
doesn't need the weather service to stick his head out the window!

Out 

Date: 07/16/21 10:42
Author: spinelinemp65

Track patrols ???

Date: 07/16/21 10:48

Or lack of same.

Out 

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0727 seconds