Home Open Account Help 304 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Molly the dog killed by train today Winnemucca Subdivision

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 07/16/21 02:51
Molly the dog killed by train today Winnemucca Subdivision
Author: RailDawg

Molly my dog was killed yesterday evening 07/15/21 by an eastbound UP at Oreana on the Winnemucca Subdivision. Right at sunset. Molly and I chase the gold here in Nevada so we end up being able to wave and salute the passing crews. Day and night all hours. Hundreds of times. Always safe as I treat the rail with respect. 

Molly was a great desert dog. Please please please if anyone here knows the crew tell them I do not hold one single grudge. That dog was highly trained and when I let her run she bolted towards the train. That was one happy dog until she misjudged her turn and ended up under the wheels of the 4th or so car. I was 100 ft away and watched the whole thing in 4K. She did not suffer one bit. Hell probably thought she got one over on the train. 

Again I am posting here to reach out to the crew. Molly is buried on the hill she ran down. 5 miles railroad west from Oreana. Very obscure railroad crossing only locals and train crews know. There is a 4x6 as a headstone and my mining friend made a small cross. 

Things happen for a reason. 

Rest In Peace Molly. Thanks for the lessons. 

Chuck

Date: 07/16/21 02:57
Re: Molly the dog killed by train today Winnemucca Subdivision

I'm at the Rye Patch Reservoir crossing right now. Heading up to the gold mill site way up on the mountains west of the Reservoir. EB train coming. Going to wave and then head up into the hills. 

Chuck

Date: 07/16/21 03:10

Thanks EB crew at Rye Patch. The crossing horn was long and sweet. The wailing sound for quite a distance after the crossing was appreciated. I have a handheld scanner but never bring it. But I think the Winnemucca crews know me and this dog. 

The picture below is where Molly is buried. Just geographically NE of that obscure crossing. I think the Chinese had a camp here. 

Chuck

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/21 03:12 by RailDawg.

Date: 07/16/21 04:50
Author: robj

Very sad to hear, as one who travels with his dog for years it is one thing I fear.

Bob Jordan

Date: 07/16/21 06:20
Author: upmodeler

Sorry for your loss Chuck.

Posted from Android

Date: 07/16/21 07:11
Author: Lackawanna484

Sorry for your loss

Posted from Android

Date: 07/16/21 07:39
Author: g-spotter1

Really sorry to read that.  I have always travelled with dogs, always well trained, but canine sensibilities can sometimes override their training, at random.  As a result, I have identified what I call "zero mistake zones."  These are areas of high consequence regarding any deviation from established norms.  In such areas/situations, I keep my four-legged companions under tight control, so that they may live to run another day.  Even with that, things just happen sometimes.  Again, sorry for that painful experience--kind of a nightmare.

Date: 07/16/21 09:32
Author: DynamicBrake

Chuck,
I'm very sorry for your loss!  It's really hard when "man's best friend buys the farm."  Cherish those moments you and Molly spent trackside.

Kent in CArmel Valley

Date: 07/16/21 11:18

Thanks guys for the kind words! We are going plant a Cottonwood tree on the hill next to where Molly is buried. The tree will get a bucket of water on a regular basis. 

If the passing firemen on the locomotives could toss some water from their tender that would be so appreciated. :-)

Chuck

Date: 07/16/21 11:24
Author: DFWJIM

Glad you are not holding a grudge against the crew as you were the one who made the mistake of not keeping your dog on a leash while near an active rail line.

Date: 07/16/21 11:38

DFWJIM Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Glad you are not holding a grudge against the crew
> as you were the one who made the mistake of not
> keeping your dog on a leash while near an active
> rail line

If the dog is on a leash then she can only run 5 ft rather than the 1/2 mile she usually did chasing the train?

This is deep high desert country out here in Northern Nevada. Ranchers and miners. No one holds their dog on a leash out here. I gave Molly the command to run and she did. She simply misjudged her own energy and I lost her in the most spectacular way. Of course the crew had nothing to do with it. But I saw the engineer looking in his mirror so I know he saw Molly get eaten up. I feel bad I allowed that to happen. 

Don't need any lectures. The cost of Freedom... no leash... is sometimes you lose a dog to mine shafts, cliffs, rattlesnakes and even trains. It was an accident but Molly died at the height of happiness. 

Chuck

Date: 07/16/21 12:11
Author: IC_2024

Well said, Chuck… I feel very sorry for your loss but know that Molly is riding a higher and much smoother mainline and you’ll meet again someday… As an engr who has experienced much loss of life firsthand, both animal and human, over the years, I’ve felt that pain and truly empathize w/ you— God bless you and Molly

Date: 07/16/21 13:58
Author: cchan006

g-spotter1 Wrote:
> Really sorry to read that.  I have always
> travelled with dogs, always well trained, but
> canine sensibilities can sometimes override their
> training, at random.

Maybe not so random. Dogs have far better hearing than people. We get used to dogs acting the same as us based on the senses, but they can act on noises we can't hear. We already accept that for smell.

Trains generate LOTS and LOTS of noises.

Date: 07/16/21 14:05

IC_2024 Wrote:
> Well said, Chuck… I feel very sorry for your
> loss but know that Molly is riding a higher and
> much smoother mainline and you’ll meet again
> someday… As an engr who has experienced much
> loss of life firsthand, both animal and human,
> over the years, I’ve felt that pain and truly
> empathize w/ you— God bless you and Molly

Thanks IC. That is all I need to hear. All dogs go to Heaven. Rightfully so. 

chuck

Date: 07/16/21 14:12
Author: justalurker66

The trouble with a dog chasing a vehicle is what happens when they catch it. I am glad that you have a good attitude about the incident and especially concern for the crew.

Date: 07/16/21 17:31
Re: Molly the dog killed by train today Winemaker Subdivision
Author: cchan006

RailDawg Wrote:
> The 1800's west still exists. You just have to
> find it. Not going to argue. 
>
> Chuck

First, my condolences.

https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,5251778,5251950#5251950

Photobob enlarged a photo of your previous dog, Jaxson, trying to help a couple of months ago. In that thread, you weren't able to check who enlarged the photo, and if you didn't know, I'll mention it now.

When you're ready, some of us might be interested in seeing photos of Molly. You can celebrate life even when fate deals a cruel hand.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/21 17:32 by cchan006.

Date: 07/16/21 18:16
Author: Cupolau

I'm sorry for your loss. Know that area well since I travel to visit my son and daughter in Elko about three times a year either by AMTRAK or my truck..Traveling from California you really do get a sense of what the west was like some 150 years ago. I appreciate my visits in that it's such a change in life style and attitude. I can see why people move to this area.

Date: 07/16/21 19:09

Guys I made a bad decision of course in letting Molly run. Like all hard lessons I will learn and adjust. 

The old west is still alive. I can't say much here right now but we have already started the first mining town in 100 years out here. It will be 1800's. We have water rights going back 100 years. We have an operating gold mill based on water processing. We are very very remote. 

The train crews here see real isolation and perhaps agree that 10 miles off Hwy 80 it's like stepping back in time. 

Chuck

Date: 07/16/21 20:08
Author: bluesman

Man; so very sad to read the post. I can only imagine the horror of seeing your 4 legged friend getting killed. Just terrible.

Date: 07/16/21 21:31
Author: ATSFSuperChief

So sorry to read of your lose of a great dog and fun chasing companion. I am having a silent moment and feel your grief.

Dopn Allender

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0765 seconds