Home Open Account Help 268 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Did UP run a train over the Siskiyou's last nite?

Date: 07/31/21 14:48
Did UP run a train over the Siskiyou's last nite?
Author: zr1rob

this thread https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,5296809,page=1 from a few days ago was discussing a possible train northbound yesterday. Did it happen? Anyone got pix?

Date: 07/31/21 14:57
Re: Did UP run a train over the Siskiyou's last nite?
Author: portlander

No. The mrvcox was drug out to Mounkes siding on the Sacramento Sub near Yuba CIty and tied down without power. I seriously doubt any trains will run over the CORP as we get closer to opening. 

Date: 07/31/21 19:40
Author: callum_out

Didn't Roseville send another EU out this afternoon?

Out 

Date: 07/31/21 20:08
Author: ble692

callum_out Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Didn't Roseville send another EU out this afternoon?

The MRVEU 30 is passing Sims northbound as I type this. The MRVEU 29 is parked at Lakehead. There is an MEUWCX 28 parked in Klamath Falls. Other normal trains are starting to show up on the lineups over the next few days. First ZLCBR back on the normal routing is planned for the train of 8/2. Reopening must be close.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/21 20:08 by ble692.

Date: 07/31/21 20:25
Author: TCnR

Slide fence got'em.

>
> The MRVEU 30 is passing Sims northbound as I type
> this.

The train at Lakehead has some cement loads and a yellow tarped bulkhead load near the point, just to keep them straight.

Here's the temporary URL for the Depot Camera for anybody who can't sleep:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBSMyaDiRFE

+ todays train made it into the south yard at Dunsmuir and tied down with a few minutes left on HOS.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/21 21:19 by TCnR.

Date: 07/31/21 20:26
Author: coach

It's amazing that UP hasn't fostered a better working relationship with CORP, including track mainteance guidance/assistance, in the event of emergencies.  Detour trains of centerbeams could have using that line and supporting customer demands.  I guess it would take an even larger Act of God to make UP change.

Date: 07/31/21 20:53
Author: callum_out

See the big units on CORP North of Winchester? They say G&W on the side, they're orange not yellow. Years ago those
units would have been UP in trade for preblocked trains. Well UP decided that wasn't worth the power use so G&W found 
the proper finger to wave and the bucks to acquire SD70s and here we are. Not only that, it was taking 6-10 days for the
loads at Weed handled North by UP. So here came the Siskiyou and here came the big units. To say the relationship is
less than cordial would be an understatement.

Out 

Date: 07/31/21 21:07
Author: sphogger

I think someone earlier alluded to fire danger on the Sisq's.   Back in the SP days the US Forest Service required water cars between Ashland and Hornbrook during the summer months.  Not just in case of a fire, the spigot was open wide spraying the track and surrounding RofW 180 degrees preemptively in the event of fire or sparks.  They were attended to by a water service employee then set out at either end of that part of the Subdivision. I doubt the dry vegetation load is any less than 25 years ago.  I'm only guessing but that could be giving UP pause on running the Siskiyou's with UP power.  No idea what power would be used.   I wonder if high horsepower AC power is allowed on the Black Butte to Bellevue 3+ % grade with whatever shape that track is in.  If I remember correctly the train that UP ran years ago ( during the slide?) was a set of old SD40's they put together.  

sphogger

Date: 07/31/21 21:27
Author: dmaffei

ble692 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> callum_out Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Didn't Roseville send another EU out
> this afternoon?
>
> The MRVEU 30 is passing Sims northbound as I type
> this. The MRVEU 29 is parked at Lakehead. There is
> an MEUWCX 28 parked in Klamath Falls. Other normal
> trains are starting to show up on the lineups over
> the next few days. First ZLCBR back on the normal
> routing is planned for the train of 8/2. Reopening
> must be close.

Someone saw photos of a ballast train on dry canyon bridge on this thread, so thinking opening is close. Siskiyou line is probably off. As SPhogger mentioned, fire danger was an issue on Siskiyou line when SP ran it. They ran water cars behind power spraying ROW in the summer to prevent tie fires if I remember correctly. 
https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,5297924

Date: 08/03/21 19:57
Author: portlander

The mrvcox is approaching Dunsmuir and is planned for turning over to the CORP at Black Butte.

Posted from Android

Date: 08/03/21 21:00
Author: TCnR

Talking with a retired conductor we decided running a few empty Siskiyou trains would take some tonnage off the mainline, rather than using Dunsmuir and KF crews. Speculation is the CORP train would sit at Black Butte interchange yard until CORP is ready. There's a few TO subscribers who spend time at Black Butte ( ie Black Butte Center for RR Culture ).

Date: 08/04/21 08:21
Author: WAF

CORP sprayed water in Cow Creek Canyon too on the Medford-Roseburg train

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0455 seconds