Home Open Account Help 178 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Retired UP first black woman engineer TV interview/book

Date: 07/31/21 22:45
Retired UP first black woman engineer TV interview/book
Author: brc600

Date: 07/31/21 23:06
Re: Retired UP first black woman engineer TV interview/book
Author: jgilmore

Interesting story, never knew about her and ironically just this past week my wife (a black woman) was asking me about women and women of color in operating postions. I showed this to her and she was impressed. This engineer at UP was courageous to tackle the mostly white, male, racist and sexist world of the operating crafts (and the city of North Platte) of that time but really seemed to enjoy the work. Kudos to her...

See more of her story here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zymr2_RdsCY

JG

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/21 23:08 by jgilmore.

Date: 08/01/21 05:41
Author: Bob3985

I met Edwina once and she was a very nice lady.
And I am a retired white male who worked in various railroad operating craft positions and never had a racist bone in my body.
I grew up playing sports with black friends. And have had friends of many races over the years. 
Racism is not because one is of a certain color but because of what is instilled in you mentally. 
There are people in every race that hold defiant feelings toward the others.
This world needs to learn we are all here together for a finite period of time.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 08/01/21 07:17
Author: jgilmore

Bob3985 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I met Edwina once and she was a very nice lady.
> And I am a retired white male who worked in
> various railroad operating craft positions and
> never had a racist bone in my body.
> I grew up playing sports with black friends. And
> have had friends of many races over the years. 
> Racism is not because one is of a certain color
> but because of what is instilled in you
> mentally. 
> There are people in every race that hold defiant
> feelings toward the others.
> This world needs to learn we are all here together
> for a finite period of time.

Thanks Bob, I totally believe you. Don't know what bandito was babbling about but I did say "mostly." Back in the day, the cab was mostly male and white, that's undeniable, and I'm sure many were also racist and sexist, even as the story noted and I've experienced the several times I've been in the cab or talked to crews, but not all...

JG

Date: 08/01/21 09:06
Author: dan

Socialization plays into it, many black males in the 1970's  endurred quite a lot  down south 

Date: 08/01/21 10:50
Author: dcfbalcoS1

I had whites, blacks, spanish, etc in my group at work and work most days with 100% mexican men on crews, no trouble, no problems, we ate together, prepared meals together and I am sick and tired of the race crap. It isn't everywhere nor with everyone.

Date: 08/01/21 12:01
Author: sixaxlecentury

You might be sick and tired of it but that does not mean its not still wide spread and an issue in places.   

Date: 08/01/21 12:09
Author: SantaFeRuss

Very nice story. Shows the strength of Woman like her.  Also what they have had to endure and still do.My dear late Wife was an "Amtraker" and was African American, starting from about 1973 and she hung in there for 32 years. Some of the stories she told me and I also experienced with her were both hart braking and triumphant. 

SantaFeRuss

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0478 seconds