Home Open Account Help 301 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > View of SR89 underpass between Almanor and Greenville, CA.

Date: 09/07/21 12:57
View of SR89 underpass between Almanor and Greenville, CA.
Author: mleland

This is on the BNSF Gateway Sub. I took this video Sept 4th. I am traveling “south” on SR89 towards Greenville CA. 

I would say that most of the forest from Canyon Dam/Almanor down to about the passing lane on SR89 is torched. There are stands where the fire only burned near the ground, but that is only in small pockets. 

Much more of the railroad is visible from the road now. Specially between the 89 underpass and Almanor\Canyon Dam. 

As confirmed elsewhere and via the damaged structures map from CalFire, the former WP section buildings near the underpass are gone. 

Mike Leland 

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 09/07/21 13:05
Re: View of SR89 underpass between Almanor and Greenville, CA.
Author: WAF

Funny how some trees don't burn

Date: 09/07/21 13:14
Author: TCnR

Thanks for the views. It'll take time but there's still plenty of beauty there.

During the WP days I would chase through there quite often, came back a few decades later and thought where did all these trees come from. Suppose they were just too small to see at the time.
t4p.

Date: 09/07/21 14:05
Author: icancmp193

As reported on TO, I took the same trip on the same day. Many, many years ago I hiked the tracks from the overpass to Canyon Dam, as my in-laws used to stay summers at the trailer park there. It seemed so isolated, but in reality the tracks get close to Highway 89 in several spots, now made much more noticeable post-fire.

TJY

Date: 09/07/21 16:33
Author: TomG

Here is a photo of the overcrossing last year.

Date: 09/07/21 21:40
Author: funnelfan

The forest burned plenty hot. Plenty bad that the fire is still raging to the north and east. By some miracle it steered away from Portola, and burned through the Clover Valley into the Beckworth Burn. Although Portola is not completely out of danger yet. Up north the fire is getting close to the Inside Gateway near the intersection of Mooney Rd and Hwy 44. I see the Antelope Fire near Tennant has made a run toward the east heading in the direction of the Inside Gateway. Luckily the area around the tracks is not heavily forested in that area.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0506 seconds