Home Open Account Help 261 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > UP 4014, the K&O, and santafe199 gets "high"

Date: 09/08/21 11:11
UP 4014, the K&O, and santafe199 gets "high"
Author: Rathole

Last week's chase of UP 4014 in Kansas was a great adventure, to say the least.  My girfriend (who is becoming quite a railfan) and I had planned to catch 4014 in Arkansas but when that fell through, we decided to make a run to Kansas.  I called "santafe199" (Lance) and told him we were going to head his way.  We were able to meet up in Salina on Thursday after 4014 arrived, then enjoyed supper with some other TO members for Mexican food at Carlos O'Kelly's (there's a real Hispanic name), then went back to the depot for night shots of 4014.  For the next two days,  Lance's knowledge of the KP route proved to be quite valuable.  I've been on steam chases before, but never have I seen the number of cars that were out on this run, not even for N&W 611 and 1218.   As Lance told in one of his posts, at Hays there were some painters who had just stopped for the day who someone was able to coax into using their lift for photos.  I joined in on that (tipping the painters for their efforts) and we went rolling down to where 4014 was sitting.  Lance had gone to grab something to drink and when he returned he called me and I told him I was up in a painters lift photographing.  He said, "I know, I just turned in right underneath you!"   After I got my photos, we came down and Lance was then the next one to get "high" for photos.  After the arrival of 4014 at Sharon Springs, Lance was headed to Great Bend to meet up with Bob Helling, so we all drove along the K&O ex MoPac main line to Scott City, then followed the K&O ex Santa Fe line to Great Bend.  At Great Bend we stayed overnight, and santafe199 took care of what he needed to do and headed home to Manhattan to begin poring over his newly expanded pixel collection.   Thanks again Lance for the guide service and great comradery!   

Photo 1 - UP 4014 at Carneiro, KS
Photo 2 - UP 4014 at Collyer, KS
Photo 3 - UP 4014 at Salina, KS.
Photo 4 - K&O train at Scott City, KS
Photo 5 - Another view of the K&O train at Scott City
Photo 6 - Lance flying through the air with the greatest of ease.          

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/21 12:47 by Rathole.

Date: 09/08/21 11:21
Re: UP 4014, the K&O, and santafe199 gets "high"

Date: 09/08/21 11:35

Two additional views, 4014 as seen from the painter's perch........Thanks again to JDR Painting Services!    

Date: 09/08/21 12:01
Author: briancdn

Great photos. Love the night shot.
Brian N.

Date: 09/08/21 12:53
Author: santafe199

Rathole Wrote: > ... Photo 6 - Lance flying through the air with the greatest of ease ... 
(heh heh heh) With all that extra tonnage I don't about any 'greatest of ease' hoo-haw, but it sure was exhilarating! And I failed to get the predicted nose-bleed while up there... ;^)

> ... Lance's knowledge of the KP route proved to be quite valuable ...
You're absolutely welcome! It's always fun to show off my perfectly "billiard-table flat" home turf!

DJ Sir L

Added: Your night shot at Salina is terrific, maybe even an IOTD! I'll have a version in my next "Big Boy" installment. And I didn't realize the engine was parked with the drive rod was in the fabled "down" position. Sudden thought. All this attention to steam engine drive rods would make a great railfan epitaph: 

"Here lies (John Doe). His rods are down. Forever..."

;^)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/21 13:15 by santafe199.

Date: 09/08/21 14:11
Author: Copy19

Love that night shot in Salina.  The brick pattern radiating out from the puddle really catches the eye.

JB - Omaha

Date: 09/08/21 14:20
Author: zoohogger

Yes, let's see the night shot as an IOTD. very nice.

Rick Z

Date: 09/08/21 14:43
Author: trainjunkie

Carlos O'Kelly's? I'll bet the Irish Nachos are fantastic. LOL!

Date: 09/08/21 19:37
Author: ironmtn

Copy19 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Love that night shot in Salina.  The brick
> pattern radiating out from the puddle really
> catches the eye.
>
> JB - Omaha

Second that motion! Just a truly beautiful image. One IOTD vote here, Mr. Webmaster.

MC

Date: 09/09/21 17:48
Author: SCKP187

Great coverage and photos.  Really like the shot in downtown Collyer.  Glad we got to meet you too.
Brian Stevens

Date: 09/10/21 08:49

Yes, good to meet you and Bob Helling!   Let's do it again soon!  

=============================================================================

SCKP187 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great coverage and photos.  Really like the shot
> in downtown Collyer.  Glad we got to meet you
> too.
> Brian Stevens

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0715 seconds