Home Open Account Help 254 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Big Boy into my 2nd hometown!

Date: 09/08/21 06:14
Big Boy into my 2nd hometown!
Author: santafe199

Moving right on down the line with more of my ‘Big Boy 2021’ adventures>>v

13. Before we head west let’s take another look at Rosencutter Rd in Manhattan, KS. I’m certainly NOT in the habit of going to the trouble to chase a train just to take a “flying roster shot”! But I had to save this image during my original weeding-down session. The drive rod on the lead driving wheels is in an almost perfect down position. On the other hand, photo-editing a big black subject in heavy overcast weather is no picnic. Here is another interpretation, just a bit on the pastel side. I’d like to think I’m getting better with Photoshop’s dizzying array of bells & whistles & shiny toys! But it’s obvious I still have a lot to learn...

14. Here’s a maneuver I’ve honed to perfection over the years: In true dive-bombing style, I came roaring west on K-18 highway right into the off-ramp at 56th St (east of Ogden, KS). I turned left and raced onto the very wide, 4-lane-with-wide-shoulders overpass and made a quick U-turn. There must have been a hunnert people already up there! I jumped out, poked my camera through a hole in all that humanity and immediately went into a shooting sequence. I was back in my rig and racing down the on-ramp back onto K-18 before anyone could ask: “Who was that masked-man???

Date: 09/08/21 06:17
Re: Big Boy into my 2nd hometown!

I opted to bypass shooting at Junction City, Chapman & Detroit. Instead I stayed on I-70 and ran like the wind over to my 2nd home-town of Abilene. I wanted to shoot the 4014 underneath that famous “X” between the 2 elevators that straddle the UP main line just east of Buckeye Ave (main drag). But Abilene was already a zoo, jam-packed with about a zillion stampeding sight-seers (see images #16 & #17). And it seems the elevator company had posted brand-new NO TRESPASSING signs all over the place. I honored those signs. But of course, at train time a mindless horde of humanity swamped the very spot I wanted to shoot from. Image #18 will just have to do for my “X” shot...

15. I was taken by surprise to see that the Smoky Valley gang had ex-Santa Fe 4-6-2 #3415 out for display at Buckeye St south of downtown Abilene. Word is the 3415 missed her traditional last runs of the season on the Labor Day weekend. Some sort of mechanical situation was awaiting an order of “parts” that had yet to arrive on property. At any rate, for a brief moment in time there were 2 very famous LIVE steam engines on the loose in my second home town. I’ve no doubt my Rock Island-employee Grandfather would have been proud...

Date: 09/08/21 06:19

16. & 17. Did somebody say “crowd control”?? The UP Police had their hands full just keeping people behind the line on the old passenger platform. The old UP depot looks as good as ever, and the iconic “Sunflower Hotel” is surely looking down on the scene with approval...

18. I guess I got my “X” shot after all. But the crowd has gotten very “up close & personal” for the 4014’s pass-by. I believe even our fancy tricycle riding, bull-horn equipped fan(atic) back at Manhattan would probably just throw in the towel at a scene like this one just east of Buckeye Ave. On second thought.........

Date: 09/08/21 06:21

19. & 20. The 4014’s safe, slow-roll into the depot area allowed me to easily bag a few rods-down shots! Note in image #19 how “Wild Bill” Hickok is watching over the scene from the side of the old Wells-Fargo building. (no foolin’!)

21. And in this image Mr Hickok seems to be having a short exchange with “Jim Adams” as his namesake tender rolls over Buckeye.
(Images 16-21 taken at the Buckeye Avenue crossing in Abilene, KS)

Date: 09/08/21 06:24

I was happy now to have shots of the Big Boy in both my home town -Manhattan- & my 2nd home town -Abilene-. And I can put my tire blow-out misadventure from 2019 to rest. I decided to move to Mud Creek on the west side of Abilene. There were several “characters” waiting in the wings! But first:

22. It looks like people went to great pains to come to Abilene for a look at the Big Boy. Apparently they had to employ all sorts of vehicular transport just to get here...

23. & 24. There are always going to be people who feel like their entitlement comes over & above everyone else. They will always act like they own the joint. With the 4014 a block or so away I even saw a person squatting inside the gauge, getting a very dramatic low-level cell phone shot, but I won’t post that shot here...

Date: 09/08/21 06:26

25. The sea of humanity has parted and the rain is falling. Still, the 4014 is making a slow pass over Mud Creek as seen here from the Cherry St crossing.

26. I couldn’t resist taking an over-the-shoulder ‘snoop’ shot while this young man was composing his cell phone video. And holy-moly! I even got the rods down...

Date: 09/08/21 06:27

One more, for the road:

27. While other eardrums where being assailed, this young lad was yelping for joy at the 4014’s loud whistle.
(Photos 22-27 taken at Mud Creek on the west side of Abilene)
ALL photos taken September 2, 2021.

Stay tuned for “Big Boy into Salina

Thanks for looking!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Date: 09/08/21 09:28
Author: Ritzville

Very NICE and interesting series. Lots of people everywhere to see the croud pleasing 4014! Even some happy rain fell.

Larry

Date: 09/08/21 13:59
Author: DKay

Great set of pics Lance.Great to see all those folks out taking an interest in the loco.
Regards,DK

Date: 09/08/21 14:08
Author: Rathole

Great work Lance!!  

Date: 09/08/21 19:40
Author: ironmtn

Super job, Sir L! You done your second hometwon proud!!

MC

Date: 09/08/21 22:47
Author: Greyhounds

Ain't that America

Date: 09/11/21 14:42
Author: ns1000

Thanks for the pics...

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0865 seconds