Home Open Account Help 344 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Two Schools of Thought

Date: 09/15/21 14:26
Two Schools of Thought
Author: MacBeau

Looking at both previous and more recent efforts in and around Sand Creek Junction at Commerce City, Colorado, it would appear one can either go wide and try to diminish the visual clutter or zoom in tight and try to make the maze of pipes, columns, and stacks a more cohesive background. This eastbound back in July 2013 offered the chance to try both on the same train.   
Be of good cheer,
—Mac
www.lowellamrine.com

Date: 09/15/21 15:00
Re: Two Schools of Thought
Author: callum_out

As long as the train is well centered the "clutter" adds to the shot. Guess it depends on what's on the train, things
like shots of ES44C4 units need all the cluttler you can find.

Out 

Date: 09/15/21 15:11
Author: march_hare

I don't see that as clutter at all. It is a readily recognizable industrial background. I actually like the wide angle one better, it seems to set the scene more thoroughly. 

Date: 09/15/21 15:22
Author: Copy19

One of the most photographed train spots in Denver.

JB - Omaha

Date: 09/15/21 17:09
Author: oyw

Both work just fine for me.

Date: 09/15/21 19:04
Author: jgilmore

Great lighting and color, like 'em both. Love industrial backgrounds...

JG

Posted from Android

Date: 09/16/21 06:32
Author: Bob3985

Both photos are good. I personally prefer the first photo showing the entire scene of the refinery and the train starting across the trestle.
By the way the UP was there first so they control the junction. Been thru Sand Creek many times on the steam locomotives.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/21 06:34 by Bob3985.

Date: 09/16/21 08:20
Author: ABHoffmann

MacBeau:

In photography there doesn’t appear to be a right or wrong except what pleases the eye!

The well-known master photographer Ansel Adams (1902-1984) took a famous photo at Lone Pine, CA (once the end of the line railroad town) in the 1940’s.  WITHOUT A COPY OF THE PHOTO TO REFERENCE, the general area of where he took the photo was found and tinkering with composition was pursued by moving this way and that for maybe a hundred or so feet, taking a bunch of documenting photos in the process, and came up with what was felt to be the best composition and location.  At home, a copy of the Adams’ famous photo was examined, and what I had felt was the best photo of mine as far as composition and location was the very same as Adams had felt in taking his photo! 

So, there may be NO set rule for horizontal or vertical (or square), but whatever magically pleases the eye I believe is the shot to be pursued!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/21 08:22 by ABHoffmann.

Date: 09/16/21 12:31
Author: callum_out

Lone Pine is an excellent example of width and composition. Station is/was interesting but back off a bit and you get the
little yard, the LCL boxcar (s) which were frequently spotted and a way more descriptive and enthralling picture.

Out 

Date: 09/16/21 14:56
Author: texchief1

Like the DPU shot better!

RC Lundgren
Elgin, TX

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0427 seconds