Home Open Account Help 348 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Watco ( wisconsin & southern)

Date: 11/23/21 02:34
Watco ( wisconsin & southern)
Author: JasonCNW

anyone have the basic info on WATCO (wisconsin & southern) out of Prairie Du Chein? How big a crew base, jobs locals or road? Away from home terminal. Are they an OK outfit since Watco took over? Union or non-union and pay??

Posted from Android

Date: 11/23/21 04:06
Re: Watco ( wisconsin & southern)
Author: exprail

Jason, as I recall crews are based out of Madison for this territory and yes WSOR/WATCO is non union I believe. However they offer a better life style than big roads which pay higher. WSOR is a well maintained railroad which is constantly growing with a bright future. They generally allow the crews to make their own operating decisions without a lot of "managing".

Keep in mind there will always be a migration of railroaders from the big roads to the smaller ones for a better life style and vice versa for higher pay. 

Exprail 

Date: 11/23/21 08:47
Author: sagehen

A few years ago I stayed with my daughter-in-law's parents a few times in Spring Green (between Madison and Prairie du Chein).  The WSOR tracks ran right in back of their home.  I remember WSOR trains passing westbound in the evening and back to Madison in the wee hours of the morning.  Those trains could be big - approaching 100 cars, mostly covered hoppers.

Stan Praisewater

Date: 11/23/21 10:11
Author: sixaxlecentury

Some Watco T&E roads are indeed union now.  

Date: 11/23/21 12:28
Author: 3rdswitch

Don't "Think" it is a crew base. "THINK" trains come in only a couple times a week with power laying over? Last three visits there was a unit there, so, "POSSIBLY" a unit is kept there for local switching which is not much. Looks like single commodity handled.
JB

Date: 11/23/21 14:07
Author: kevink

An excellent resource for all things WSOR is the Wisconsin & Southern Railroad (WSOR) Facebook group. There are several current employees that post and can probably answer specific employment questions.

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.033 seconds