Home Open Account Help 319 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Bruce Butler Retires at 81

Date: 01/13/22 22:29
Bruce Butler Retires at 81
Author: funnelfan

I've worked with Bruce Butler for nearly 10 years. A fantastic guy that would never hesitate to climb off the locomotive to grab a switch to help you out as a conductor. A great work ethic that he would take a call even for the not-so-good jobs to help fill in when the regular employees could not. He covered for me more times than I can count. We've been through a lot over the years, the good, the bad and the ugly. But he always kept a pleasant attitude and was great to work with. We both enjoy the job of working for a shortline. There is a lot of stories in those years, such as this one of him posing with the Governor of Washington while the governor's wife takes a photo. Congratulations are indeed the order of the day!

https://railfan.com/long-time-pacific-northwest-railroader-pulls-the-pin-at-81-years-old/

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 01/13/22 23:08
Re: Bruce Butler Retires at 81
Author: Fizzboy7

Thats a wonderful story, and certainly needed during these trying days.    Glad he made it through and got a little recognition in the process.
Must have been a very windy day for his send off.   Check out those trees leaning!

Date: 01/14/22 02:05
Author: IC_2024

Nice photo and congrats to Bruce! ( don't think I want to work that long, but amen to our lil RR brother-- dynamite comes in small packages!).

Date: 01/14/22 02:46
Author: FiestaFoamer

That's wonderful. Thank you for sharing, Ted.

Date: 01/14/22 10:19
Author: tomstp

Worked thru age 81  !.   Musta hated his job !   Bet the railroad hated to see him go.  I retired at 67.  No way I could have lasted as long as he did.

Date: 01/14/22 11:46
Author: PHall

tomstp Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Worked thru age 81  !.   Musta hated his job
> !   Bet the railroad hated to see him go.  I
> retired at 67.  No way I could have lasted as
> long as he did.

I think it all matters on where you worked. The working conditions on a short line are probably a lot different then what you have on a Class 1.

Date: 01/14/22 12:13
Author: Ritzville

Nice story Ted! Glad you got work with such an excellent railroader. Hope Bruce is enjoying retirement.

Larry

Date: 01/14/22 13:11
Author: spider1319

Nice photo neat story and gracious of Governor Inslee to recognize Bruce.Bill Webb

Date: 01/14/22 13:31
Author: funnelfan

spider1319 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice photo neat story and gracious of Governor
> Inslee to recognize Bruce.Bill Webb

That photo was from 2015 from a ceremony celebrating a public-private deal with Highline Grain to rebuild 8 miles of the railroad to serve a new shuttle elevator at Four Lakes, WA. Bruce was selected to be the engineer for the special train that the Governor ran for a short distance to the event.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0402 seconds