Home Open Account Help 338 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Fogged In Friday On The BNSF Lakeside Sub--A Bit Of Traction

Date: 01/14/22 15:58
Fogged In Friday On The BNSF Lakeside Sub--A Bit Of Traction
Author: Ritzville

It was a cold Pea Soup fog day in Ritzville, WA on the BNSF Northern Transcon. The High-low was 37-26. Fog may stick around for awhile. Sure makes it hard to see the trains. lol. Traffic is at 28 trains since midnight with more trains on the way. Now if I could only see them. Was surprised to have a couple of hoggers toot-toot at me today with the poor visibility, Here are a few trains from today in the fog and one from yesterday before the fog set in.

1/13/2022

1. WB 426pm grain train in low light with BNSF 8417-6050 on the point with DPU's.
2. DPU's BNSF 6510-H1 995 on same train.

1/14/2022

3. WB 1001am grain train in low light with BNSF Oange on the pull with DPU's and a friendly toot-toot from the hogger. This shot with no filtering of the fog. Rest of the shots will be slightly filtered.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/22 16:03 by Ritzville.

Date: 01/14/22 16:02
Re: Fogged In Friday On The BNSF Lakeside Sub--A Bit Of Traction

4. DPU's BNSF 4184-Orange on same train. Fog has been filtered a bit.
5. WB 1046am grain train in low light with BNSF 5895-5161 on the point with DPU.
6. BNSF 485171 ATSF Heritage Hopper rolling in same train.

Date: 01/14/22 16:07

7. DPU's BNSF 8017-5188 on same train.
8. WB 1151am oil train in low light with BNSF 5860-H1 ???? on the pull with DPU's and a friendly toot-toot from the hogger.
9. DPU's BNSF 6592-8493 on same train.

Date: 01/14/22 16:12

10. WB 226pm rail train in low light with BNSF 7182-Orange on the point with no DPU.
11. Rail cars on same train.

Now a bit of Traction from the Andy Goddard collection.

12. Pacific Electric 309 Santa Ana train in the 1940's an Alan Weeks photo. Is there more info Charlie? Believe theu are in Santa Ana, CA.

Date: 01/14/22 16:25

13. Pacific Electric 1221 in Newport Beach, CA in the 1940's. An Alan Weeks photo.
14. San Diego Electric Railway car 431 at the Adams Ave. car barn in 1947.
15. The Line up at 30th and Church St. on the San Francisco Municipal Railway in 1979. A Lewis Swanson photo.

That's it for today. Hope everyone has a great weekend. Thank you so much for looking!

Larry
Ritzville, WA

Date: 01/14/22 16:44
Author: krm152

The First & The Last
Your first photo was very nice.
Really like the last traction.
Thanks for your posting.
ALLEN

Date: 01/14/22 18:23
Author: railstiesballast

I really enjoy your contemporary and historic posts.

Date: 01/14/22 18:56
Author: pedrop

Good series Larry. The foggy weather remembers me my childhood in the mountais where I was born. Nice time. It's hard to have fog where I live now. The old pictures of San Francisco are nice too. I enjoyed my time there in 2011.

Pedro Rezende
Vespasiano MG,
https://youtube.com/c/minasgeraisrailways1

Date: 01/14/22 20:58
Author: cewherry

The only tid-bit I can offer about that portion of the the Santa Ana Line between Watts and Santa Ana,
a distance of 26.53 miles, is that those miles were originally double-tracked except at three locations where
single track prevailed as it crossed major rivers--Los Angeles river at Morton (2.73 miles east of the
SP San Pedro Branch diamond), San Gabriel River--east of Bellflower and Santa Ana River just west
of West Santa Ana. In December 1941 the entire "Outbound" main track between Socorro, (just east of Watts),
to King St, (on the west edge of Santa Ana) was removed with much of the rail and fastenings going to the 
Shipyard Railway connecting Oakland with the Kaiser shipyards at Richmond, CA. 

Photo 12 shows car 309 on train 219, (The same train we saw at 6th & Main, yesterday?), stopped to line
a switch, possibly the beginning of double track leading to the depot in Santa Ana. 

Photo 13 is of one of PE finest examples of comfort and convenience. No 1221 with its sisters 1216-1220 were
a sub-group of 6, so-called "Butterfly  Twelves", (denoted by their painted wings), seen here. With their 14 sisters,
these 22 cars, collectively became known as "San Berdoo Twelves". Following PE's withdrawal of passenger
service beyond Pomona they could be found almost anywhere on PE's system, as we see here.

Built in 1915 expressly for the Los Angeles-San Bernadino service the 1216-1221 went through the Torrance shops
in 1940 gaining deep plush seating and retaining their as built toilets, needed for the long trips. 

I've been trying to find a written account of their use on the "Commodore Limited" a favorite of PE president
Oscar Smith but so far have come up 'dry'. As the story goes, Mr. Smith would often 'summer' in either Balboa
or Newport Beach using the Commodore Limited train to commute into and back from Los Angeles. PE's office
cars 1000 and later 1299 would often be used for The Commodore service owing to their added amenities.
The tracks seen here ended very shortly ahead of where we see 1221 in this pose with the line beyond to
Balboa being abandoned in 1941. The last passenger service to Newport ended on June 30, 1950.
Thankfully, both the 1000 and 1299 survive today at Perris, CA.

Charlie

Date: 01/14/22 21:27

Thanks Charlie for your always interesting information I learn something new from you everytime I post these pictures.

Larry

Date: 01/15/22 00:01
Author: bmarti7

I like those fog shots Larry.

BB

Date: 01/15/22 12:27

Thanks everyone!

Larry

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1899 seconds