Home Open Account Help 219 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Derailment in Denison Iowa

Date: 03/10/22 14:55
Derailment in Denison Iowa
Author: bankshotone

U.P. 2626 leading a z train hit a semi with a flatbed, front traction motors are out of the 2626 with one being caught under the middle of the locomotive hoisting the locomotivein the air. The engineer believed to have back injuries.

Posted from Android

Date: 03/10/22 16:28
Re: Derailment in Denison Iowa
Author: stevelv

Date: 03/10/22 20:05
Author: funnelfan

UP Z struck a semi truck with a low boy trailer that was hung up on a crossing in Denison, IA. Here are some photos of that derailment going around the net. 
Seems that was one of three significant railroad incidents today. Cal-Trans train hit two hy-rail boom trucks near San Francisco catching the locomotive and first two cars on fire. The Ringling Bros Circus Train cars stored in North Carolina caught fire as well.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/22 20:06 by funnelfan.

Date: 03/10/22 20:07
Author: funnelfan

Photos of the truck.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 03/11/22 08:38
Author: WJEX

Another stupid truck driver unemployed !!

Date: 03/11/22 09:29
Author: radar

I'm incline to give the truck driver the benefit of the doubt on this one.  Lowboy trailers can get hung up very easily.

Date: 03/11/22 09:45
Author: HotWater

radar Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm incline to give the truck driver the benefit
> of the doubt on this one.  Lowboy trailers can
> get hung up very easily.

Well,,,,,wouldn't you think that a PROFESSIONAL truck driver on a "lowboy" rig, would/should know that????  Also, how long had the "lowboy" been hung-up on that crossing?

Date: 03/11/22 10:29
Author: dan

back injuries for the enginner he maybe be at Des Moines hospital now

Date: 03/11/22 12:14
Author: PHall

And was the truck on it's approved route? Or do they not do such things in Iowa?

Date: 03/11/22 13:23
Author: SD45X

HotWater Wrote:
> radar Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I'm incline to give the truck driver the
> benefit
> > of the doubt on this one.  Lowboy trailers can
> > get hung up very easily.
>
> Well,,,,,wouldn't you think that a PROFESSIONAL
> truck driver on a "lowboy" rig, would/should know
> that????  Also, how long had the "lowboy" been
> hung-up on that crossing?

Thank you Jack. My sentiments exactly!

Date: 03/11/22 13:35
Author: Seventyfive

That first photo is really one-of-a-kind.  The incident occured on Main Street in Denison; the Google Earth
street view of the crossing, if recent, makes one wonder why a trailer that low is permitted anywhere.
That low boy likely has dozens of underside gouges where it has had previous hang-ups.
Thanks for the story and photos.

Date: 03/11/22 21:46
Author: brc600

Date: 03/12/22 07:39
Author: ns2557

PHall Wrote:
> And was the truck on it's approved route? Or do
> they not do such things in Iowa?

As long as it is an approved Truck Route, there would really be no Restrictions on where it could operate. If it was a Specialized Load such as a "Wide Load, Oversized Load", etc or HazMat, that would restrict where they can go. Does the crossing in question have signs restricting use by trucks? If not, poor judgement on the driver. The crossing from what I can see in the shot does not appear to have any reason that a truck would not be ok to use it. No steep approaches to it on either side, tracks look pretty level at the crossing. But the onus is on the driver as to know where he can drive at. If he is a driver from the area, he should know which crossings he can go over and no excuse for this. If not, then he was obviously where he should not have been. Those lowboys do have the landing gear that hang down more than usual which in my mind should make the driver more aware of such things as a RR Crossing. Just my 2coins. Ben

Date: 03/15/22 20:20
Author: rrman6

Nee some brains, not trains!!!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.5432 seconds