Home Open Account Help 348 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > [Billings Gazette] Railroaders quit after BNSF new policy

Date: 05/06/22 18:15
[Billings Gazette] Railroaders quit after BNSF new policy
Author: GN1969

Date: 05/06/22 18:33
Re: [Billings Gazette] Railroaders quit after BNSF new policy
Author: irhoghead

That's a great article, and pretty much tells it like it is.

Date: 05/06/22 20:06
Author: ProAmtrak

And I remember how they implement saftey on all aspects, until they get that thing squared away, they're gonna lose more pople! Shouldn't even have to go that route in the 1ST place!

Date: 05/06/22 20:11
Author: Pacific5th

Brady was a good rail. He had the misfortune of doing some student engine trips with me, I told him I may not teach you much but you will know your headlight rules and how to train check a train by the end of this trip. I'm glad he got out and is enjoying life.

Date: 05/06/22 22:51
Author: stevelv

irhoghead Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That's a great article, and pretty much tells it
> like it is.

I agree.  Excellent article.  BNSF IS your life.

Date: 05/07/22 08:07
Author: aehouse

The article also appeared in the Montana Free Press. The author, Justin Franz, is associate editor of Railroad Model Craftsman and Railfan & Railroad, and is active in the work of the Center for Railroad Photography and Art.

Art House

Date: 05/07/22 09:55
Author: WP-M2051

It's really too bad.  I worked for the AT&SF for 10 years and always thought it was pretty well run; I hate to see its successor go hard ass with its employees when there's no call for it.

Date: 05/07/22 11:43
Author: sfbrkmn

There is no reason for any of this from a combative corproate culture developed by what is turning to be a very poorly run transportation provider. Employees systemwide were already walking away prior to the dumb-down attendence policy that rolled out three months ago . Many of these folks walking out were/are high seniority reliable workers who will be missed.                                                                                    It is so easy to resign w/modern methods. It can be done electronically on the employee Workforce Hub on a computer, home or work Ipad and even on a I phone if the app is applied. Still the rr cannot get it right. HR is slammed right now w/applicants for Family Lv., and folks quitting. There have been cases where a worker has called it quits, turned his property in, briefed w/his supervisor but is still receiving on duty calls. On pool engr did all the above but was still somehow assigned to the board and still getting calls. These calls were being rejected and basically a LOC--Layoff On Call. Finally one day, this fellow gets a call middle of day for a hot Z8 or 9, and this time takes the call but, of course, never shows up. That hot load of freight just had to wait until an other engr could be called.                                                                         

Date: 05/07/22 12:04
Author: Lackawanna484

The Wall Street  Journal had another article about the demand for good employees this week. This one had to do with "ghosting". Employees are hired, go through background check, but never show up for work. No call, just never show up.  On average, the article says, employees are receiving 10% raise offers from their old employers when they submit their notice. In the tech business, it's more like 25%.

The time, money, and supervisory diversion (often $50,000 or more) to get a new employee up to speed means you need to keep the good employees you already have.

Except on the railroads, where employees are expendable...

(The Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that 52,000 more people were employed in the warehousing and transportation industry in April of 2022 than in March of 2022. That tends to be a very volatile number, and is preliminary for both months.)

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/empsit.pdf

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.054 seconds