Home Open Account Help 314 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > U.P. Starts Trinity River Bridge removal in Liberty, TX

Date: 05/13/22 20:20
U.P. Starts Trinity River Bridge removal in Liberty, TX
Author: elueck

U.P today started removing the 1904 bridge spans over the Trinity River in LIberty, TX.    According to the attached article, they only removed the western spans and will replace them first, before doing the east spans in July.

https://bluebonnetnews.com/2022/05/12/union-pacific-replacing-century-old-landmark-rail-bridge-in-liberty/?fbclid=IwAR3cQTLY4eWTmwR_A90JAjUw7h0OVb630ambp_5usUU7PHR9315RIqu-gf0

Date: 05/13/22 23:30
Re: U.P. Starts Trinity River Bridge removal in Liberty, TX
Author: RailDawg

Through some cool moves and good fortune a friend and I watched first-hand the demolition of the through-truss bridge almost 20 years ago. This was after a pretty serious derailment caused by the old bridge and associated spans. 

Don't tell anyone but we helped the blasters saw the charges to the lengths they needed.  Was highly impressed with the UPRR and their ability to get a replacement span in place so quickly. All the work had to be done with the Hwy 59 double-bridges in the way. 

Very cool adventure. 

Edit: I was thinking about the span over the Trinity River near Livingston, TX. My bad! 😄

Chuck

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/22 23:32 by RailDawg.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0245 seconds