Home Open Account Help 329 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > rail fanning Cajon

Date: 05/18/22 06:42
rail fanning Cajon
Author: jmc80mac7

I am going to CA in the summer and want to rail fan Cajon. I realize that there are so many places to go. Is there a website or a guide that can give me information about the area and where I should and should no go.
also from videos that I see it looks like there are many access roads is it allowable to traverse them?

I thank you for any information that you can give me.

Date: 05/18/22 07:15
Re: rail fanning Cajon
Author: ntharalson

To start, Google "Hill 582" and you will get some idea of places to go.  

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

Date: 05/18/22 07:20
Author: Juniata

It’s been 20 years since I last visited Cajon so I’ll allow others with more recent experience to advise where to go.

I do have one piece of advice that’s timeless where Cajon is concerned and that is bring as much water as you can stand carrying. The air is so dry on Cajon it will dehydrate you quicker than you can imagine.

CW

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/18/22 08:54
Author: TheNavigator

A comprehensive guide to Cajon can be found at https://www.trainmaster.ch/cajon.htm

Have a safe trip!
GK

Date: 05/18/22 12:04
Author: GeoffM

Further to the other answers, I had a quick look at the Hill 582 page and there is a mass of information on there and I can't tell if the directions have been updated since the road constructon a couple of years ago. So I copied a map off Google and highlighted the route you take off Route 138 here: https://ibb.co/fMG1GNN

Basically, head east off I-15 up Route 138 for about 1.7mi and then turn left through a gate (I've never seen it closed). The road traffic is fast here and the entrance not easy to spot, so I'd recommend using Street View to visualize it first. The shoulder of Route 138 is quite wide here so you can also safely pull off the road and get your bearings before darting across to the dirt road. Yes, it's a dirt road, so if it's been raining (or about to rain) I would avoid it - and use a 4x4 if you have one. There is some construction on the right almost immediately - laying pipes I think. Bear left as you get to the construction. You'll eventually get to the original BNSF main track - you could park here if you like. If not, cross at the grade crossing and turn left to drive alongside the railway. It'll eventually pull away from the railway, down and to the right. Turn right and follow the track and you'll see a big signal gantry up ahead. You can park there or go up the steep hill to Hill 582 and park at the top.

On Hill 582 there are benches, trash cans, shrubbery, and monuments. The people that look after it have done a great job - so please do your bit by keeping it clean! Watch for snakes (don't go crashing blindly through the tall grasses/bushes), and don't get too close to the north side where the double track is below you, as it's a steep drop and you've no way of knowing how stable the sides are. Cell signal may be non-existent or low, depending on your carrier (I use Google Fi now and it's not great but works; before I was on Sprint and no signal at all).

Regarding whether you can traverse the roads, most are Forestry (?) roads so you should be fine. One place I've not been to, and which people have previously recommended avoiding, is Summit because of the presence of a security guard. I don't know if that advice still applies.

Date: 05/18/22 12:16
Author: exhaustED

Summit and the summit overlook just to the west of actual summit are great spots. No security issues at summit these days. Hill 582 is awesome, as is the silverwood area, which is a little further west round the corner from summit.
The mormon rocks area is great too lower down. Sullivan's curve is fantastic, as is cajon station, down next to old route 66.
You'll have a fabulous time.

Date: 05/18/22 18:06
Author: dadonatrain

To GK, who posted a reply to the OP: I simply cannot thank you enough for posting the link to trainmaster.ch/Cajon.htm in reply to the OP.

I just learned a week ago about railfanning and I’m having a ball watching the virtual railfan cameras at Cajon Pass. But until I looked at the site in your post I was completely lost whenever I tried to “map” the views from the cameras to actual spots using Google maps. Well, there in the middle of the collection of aerial photos is one of precisely where I’ve been trying to find! I’m happier than a pig in something right now!

Now then, as to the OP: I’d pay cash money to join a railfanning trip to this whole area. And I’d certainly tack on a couple days at Tehachapi Pass also. Trouble is, at my advanced age, I’m afraid I’ve passed the sell by date for a trip like that. Besides, if I did do it, I could never afford the alimony!

Posted from iPhone

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/22 18:18 by dadonatrain.

Date: 05/18/22 18:14
Author: dadonatrain

To the originaI poster: I HATE you! 😆

I’d pay cash money to do a railfanning trip to Cajon Pass! I’ve been watching the Cajon Pass virtual railfan cameras for a week or so, now that I just learned about railfan cameras at all. I’d love to see it all in person!

Now I find someone else is doing precisely that trip! And I can’t go along! 😰😰😰 I want to hear all about it when you get home!

And I assume when you do this you’ll also visit the Tehachapi Loop. I’d kill to see that one live too!

Have a wonderful trip!

Posted from iPhone

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/22 18:18 by dadonatrain.

Date: 05/19/22 14:16
Author: callum_out

Since Tehach is mentioned, tie gang will finish up in early June after which the rail gang will start,
So until early July days will be pretty quiet.

Out

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0427 seconds