Home Open Account Help 336 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > No Trains, But Still.. (Palisade NV)

Date: 05/18/22 10:16
No Trains, But Still.. (Palisade NV)
Author: BoilingMan

I was out in Nevada last week taking aerials of various locations.  Aerials seem to fill the gap between maps and "Boots on the Ground" in understanding these locations (Well, for me anyway...   ).    

This is the view looking West from Palisade.  It shows the SP's 16th Crossing, Tunnel 1, 15th Crossing, 14th Crossing, and passing under the WP (In the cropped 2nd photo).  The WP's Tunnel, the track on the left, is their #39.  They didn't number their river crossings, that was an SP thing.   I would guess their bridges were identified by Mile Post only.
Also in this view are the abandoned RoW's of the original Central Pacific and the Eureka & Palisades.  Both are faint, but they're there. The CP makes a wide arch on the right side of the river, passes through the two existing RR's, and then turns to the right to stay on the North bank of the Humboldt River.  The E&P can be seen on the left bank of the river, just above the highway bridge.  Not a whole lot of it shows here.
SR

Date: 05/18/22 10:27
Re: No Trains, But Still.. (Palisade NV)
Author: MP190

Nice drone shots, really helps to see the tunnels, bridges and right of ways from those angles!

Date: 05/18/22 11:13
Author: inyosub

Nice aerials of one of my favorite spots. (Alongside Silverzone) Especially like seeing the over and under;
as I tried to get out there from the Palisade end but ran outa road within sight. (along the tracks) I can see
where I ate lunch. That wason the way to chase 4014. A good year.  Thanks for the share,

Date: 05/18/22 12:08
Author: 3rdswitch

Very nice views. Much greener than I would have thought. Too bad so little traffic now days.
JB

Date: 05/18/22 12:20

I saw something like 8-10 trains pass through while I was in the area. But I wasn’t really thinking about catching trains, I was working on these aerial maps. I suppose traffic out here is equal to whatever goes through the Feather River + over Donner. These days those numbers seem to fluctuate daily. Some days are WAY better than others- but, of course, never approach the traffic down in Cajon.
SR

Date: 05/18/22 21:03
Author: atsf121

Nice photos, didn’t know about the over-under out there.

Nathan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/20/22 13:31
Author: ns1000

Very nice..!!

Date: 05/28/22 16:11
Author: stanhunter

Great photos of a very interesting place.  The SP crossing of the Humboldt River in the bottom center of the first photo used to be a standard SP through truss bridge, but a derailment some time in the last few years destroyed the old bridge, and now it's a boring concrete deck span bridge.

Date: 05/29/22 11:38
Author: RailDawg

Great shots!

Driving to the over/under from the west requires a pretty good knowledge of what one can and cannot do to gain access. 

Did it recently and it does require confidence to drive for a few miles right next to the tracks.  Absolutely worth the effort. It's interesting to note where the UP does NOT put up no-trespassing signs. I use their roads often in areas out here with no other access. Many times it's the original wagon road. 

Chuck

Date: 05/29/22 12:03

Thanks
I’m going to try to get back to Palisade Canyon in June, but more likely I’ll have to wait till the Fall.
When I do get back I’ll be focusing more on the City wreck site and the SP/WP cross over. Also there’s a fair amount of CPRR grade just East of Elko I want to record.
SR

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0536 seconds