Home Open Account Help 249 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Chicago best spots to railfan

Date: 05/19/22 13:07
Chicago best spots to railfan
Author: railfannw

I’m going to Chicago in July and I’m aware of how manny different railroads operate out of Chicago but I’m looking for a good spot to photograph freight trains theirs main line and short line anything would be helpful thanks .

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/19/22 13:26
Re: Chicago best spots to railfan
Author: PasadenaSub

I've found this to be a valuable resource, although I'm not sure how updated it is:

https://www.dhke.com/CRJ/

Date: 05/19/22 13:52
Author: DevalDragon

Tell us what color trains you want to photograph and we'll help you find some good places.

Date: 05/19/22 14:25
Author: pilotblue

I'm thinking Blue Island crossing for sure!

Date: 05/19/22 14:37
Author: kbmiflyer

PasadenaSub Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've found this to be a valuable resource, although I'm not sure how updated it is:
>> https://www.dhke.com/CRJ/

This, seriously, an amazing resource.

The Metra Stations along the BNSF and UP West line are the best places to get good mainline action.  BNSF line is probably the busiest.    I am partial to Lagrange Park and Hollywood along the BNSF line.   The West Chicago junction on the UP West line gets you UP and CN/EJE traffic.

I like Dalton over Blue Island as there is parking right next to the tracks as opposed to being on a sidewalk.  I also like UP which goes through Dalton but not Blue Island.

Both Matteson and Homewood Metra Stations offer good CN action, although this line seems less busy lately.

If you are looking for CSX (other than Blue Island/ Dalton) and NS, your best bet may be the locations just across the border in Indiana.  I am partial to Ogden Dunes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/22 19:00 by kbmiflyer.

Date: 05/19/22 15:00
Author: miralomarail

And remember the crossing at Rochelle offers the BNSF crossing the UP and a Busy Shortline to the SE operated by Burlington Juntion Railway who might be using their Alco's

Tom Hirsch
Cherry Valley, Ca

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/22 16:51 by miralomarail.

Date: 05/19/22 16:20
Author: Passfanatic

The BNSF Racetrack is a great line to start off railfanning. It's Metra's busiest diesel line. The majority of stations along the BNSF Racetrack are great for photography. You also have Amtrak's long distance trains-Southwest Chief and California Zephyr. Amtrak's Illinois State Supported trains which run from Chicago to Quincy run on the Racetrack route as well. I've ridden Amtrak along the Racetrack plenty of times and Metra only once.

Date: 05/20/22 07:45
Author: kentishtim

Let's not forget Ash St in Chicago, where you can see UP and CSX crossing the CN, all from a City of Chicago parking lot accessed from Western Avenue.  UP and CSX traffic cross the water right next the lot on a large steel bridge.  The Metra stop at Western Avenue is also good for BNSF, as well as yard switching.

Date: 05/20/22 12:08
Author: nickatnight

A ride on the South Shore Line offers a change of scenery - the former steel mill plants along the shore of Lake Michigan.  I would recommend Millenium Station out to East Portage/Dune and then return. I would not go further than East Portage as there is busing due to construction.  Would recommend avoiding Gary. 

Chesterton can be fun if you have a car but Chicago traffic is challenging. 

Nickatnight

Date: 06/02/22 22:22
Author: railfannw

I’m staying in Schaumburg Illinois and from their going to Chicago I live in the Pacific Northwest anything that’s not BNSF or Union Pacific is what I hope to get maybe .

Posted from iPhone

Date: 06/03/22 10:13
Author: CSL_SW1001

In earlier times, I would have suggested State Line Tower for excellent CSX, NS, IHB, and South Shore activity. But now it is relatively inaccessible. It is possible to use the South Shore (NICTD) to Hegewisch station west of State Line to view the South Shore and NS (Burnham Junction on the dhke.com website).

The next station east on NICTD is Hammond where the CSX tracks are just south of the station. It still might be worth walking west from the Hammond station along the South Shore tracks toward State Line. From what I’ve seen on Flickr, the realigned South Shore has some curves that give some decent photo angles of NICTD trains and you might get a glimpse of CSX or NS at State Line at the end of Brunswick St. About 0.75 mile south of the station is Hohman Ave. junction of NS (ex-NKP) and IHB.

Another favorite NW Indiana site is the Hammond-Whiting Amtrak station. Heavy NS (ex-Conrail) and Amtrak activity can be seen, possibly CP and CSX trackage rights trains, and CN (ex-EJ&E) and SC&IH (ex-Chicago Short Line) movements. A little bit east of here is Indiana Harbor (CP502) with the same railroads at Hammond-Whiting, but with the addition of IHB and steel mill (Cleveland-Cliffs, nee-Inland Steel) activity.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0568 seconds