Home Open Account Help 331 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Washita Junction, Clinton, Oklahoma

Date: 05/19/22 17:43
Washita Junction, Clinton, Oklahoma
Author: EL833

I found Farmrail's Washita Junction just north of Clinton, Oklahoma to be interesting with several wooden trestles leading up to the diamond. The line from left to right is former Frisco, the line with the 3 car local on it is former Rock Island, and I believe the Santa Fe used part of both to gain access to trackage near Custer City. Anyone with a more detailed history of this area please chime in. Part of this junction was rerouted when the new Rt 183 bridge (the one I'm standing on) was built. GMTX 423 (ex Frisco) and GNBC (Grainbelt) 625 (ex GM&O) sit on a connector. Photo two is a ground level view the next morning with Farmrail's Clinton Local back on the ex Frisco line. Bridge photo taken 04-20-2022, ground level taken 04-21-2022.

Roger Durfee
Akron, OH

Date: 05/19/22 17:53
Re: Washita Junction, Clinton, Oklahoma
Author: cozephyr

Right place, right time - you nailed Washita Junction, Oklahoma, perfectly-!  Well done-!

Date: 05/19/22 19:21
Author: SP8595

Great shots!

Date: 05/19/22 20:15
Author: Roadmaster

Excellent photos! That set up of a diamond, interchange tracks, and multiple trestles in the mix reminds me of the diamond and interchange tracks and trestles in Cuero, TX, an SP town northwest of Victoria. Cuero, however, lost its diamond and two of its three interchange tracks 40+ years ago, with the remaining interchange being the mainline of UP's Cuero Subdivision.

Matthew Dittert

Date: 05/20/22 06:42
Author: RS12394

Matthew, who did the SP interchange with in Cuero? SP was the only railroad in town. It was a neat track set up though.

Joe McMillan

Date: 05/20/22 09:57
Author: Gonut1

Great shots of an interesting junction.
It was all Texas and New Orleans in Cuero TX, so Southern Pacific.
Go

Date: 05/20/22 12:43
Author: mococomike

Are there still pasenger cars in the main yard in Clinton?

Date: 05/20/22 13:59
Author: SD45X

To your left in the first shot was another Jct and it went up to the ATSF station in town if I remember correctly. Tracks were gone but depot was still standing. Think two blocks west of Farmrails shop.

Date: 05/20/22 20:32
Author: Evan_Werkema

EL833 Wrote:

> The line from left to right is former Frisco, the line
> with the 3 car local on it is former Rock Island,
> and I believe the Santa Fe used part of both to
> gain access to trackage near Custer City.

This spot used to be known as East Junction, and Santa Fe had their own track here - the former KCM&O line that would have passed almost directly underneath you and across the former Rock Island in that first shot.  It joined the Frisco at Ewing about a mile further north and used their rails for 13 miles through Arapaho and Custer City to Foley, where the lines parted ways again.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0397 seconds