Home Open Account Help 275 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Middle of nowhere

Date: 06/19/22 09:29
Middle of nowhere
Author: 2ebright

To reach this spot from Little Mountain, Utah, west of Ogden, UP 9522  had to cross 30 miles of the Great Salt Lake to Lakeside, Utah, population 0,  followed by another 58 miles crossing the straight and nearly gradeless Great Salt Lake Desert to Lucin, Utah, also population 0, and then another 25 miles through Montello, population 35. Total of 113 miles of railroad with a total population of 35, all located in Montello. I would say that qualifies as “out in the middle of nowhere”. #9522 is well into the grade up to Valley Pass, followed by the slightly higher Moor Summit and then a sharp drop into the town of Wells, Nevada. All together 163 miles from Little Mountain to Wells and only 35 people the entire way!  Back a number of years ago in Southern Pacific days, I would listen on my scanner to the dispatcher ask the westbound crews for their lunch order. They would answer with something like “2 number 4’s with extra meat, fries and 2 Cokes.” When the westbound reached Montello they slowed down to walking speed. Someone would walk out of the Cowboy Bar in Montello, cross the tracks, and hand up the lunch to the conductor standing on the steps of the moving train.  This practice ended years ago.

Date: 06/19/22 09:55
Re: Middle of nowhere
Author: PasadenaSub

Great photo and story.  When was the picture taken?  Would be significant if recent to find a C41-8W still running on the UP leading the train.

Rich

Date: 06/19/22 10:05
Author: texchief1

Nice shot!

RC Lundgren
Elgin, TX

Date: 06/19/22 10:40
Author: 2ebright

Taken May 15, 2014. I found the Model # in an online UP roster. I thought it a little odd too, but send me the correct model and I will change it.

Dick

Date: 06/19/22 11:10
Author: PasadenaSub

No, I think that's the correct model number for the 9522.  2014 is still impressive for a Dash-8 to have been leading a mainline train for the UP.

Date: 06/19/22 16:35
Author: march_hare

I remember reading a post a few years back that said basically this was the place in the US with the fewest grade crossings. Something like 150 miles, and you didn’t have to blow the horn even once. 

Date: 06/19/22 17:27
Author: mojaveflyer

Great place to shoot. A little bit east of downtown Cobre, NV.....

James Nelson
Thornton, CO
www.flickr.com/mojaveflyer

Date: 06/19/22 17:36
Author: callum_out

Yes, ir's on the Cobre suburbs.

Out

Date: 06/19/22 19:40
Author: Gonut1

So, the crews are required to brown bag it today?
Go

Date: 06/19/22 19:53
Author: callum_out

SP used to do the same thing coming into Mojave and yes, today you need to bring your own vittels.

Out 

Date: 06/19/22 21:38
Author: atsf121

Great story, and that truly is the middle of nowhere!

Nathan

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0402 seconds