Home Open Account Help 276 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > What's along the way?

Date: 06/22/22 15:16
What's along the way?
Author: ns2557

The best half and myself are planning a venture to the Tacoma Wa area and then south to Coos Bay Or around the 1st of the month. We have roughly 2 weeks or so that we are giving ourselves to do this. What interesting things are out there to see in Washington State and then south to Coos Bay? I myself am interested in shortlines and some Museums to check out on the way. Gonna go north and west thru Laramie Wy then Kemmerer, Wy to Pocatello Id and then we have some choices after that. Either follow the Columbia River west to Portland then north to Puyallup or first stay of any length. Then south to Coos Bay Or. Having not been out this way since I stopped driving the big trucks, what can I perhaps find? We are at least planning on visiting the Museum at North Bend Wa, but I am drawing a blank on what else is out there as far as perhaps must see Museums. Gonna try and spend a few hours in the Tacoma Area shooting the Tacoma Rail guys (Have a friend who is gonna help us with this one). On the way to Coos Bay would like to shoot the Albany and Eastern and Portland Western plus any other lines that might be worth checking out. Our return trip is still being considered to the different ways to go. In all of this, we are trying to stay out of Utah. 
(Nothing against y'all from Utah, wife has reasons to do so). It appears that our inbound to Puyallup will take us over Snoqualmie Pass, hence the North Bend Diversion, but any other ideas to check out?   Starting point is Canon City Co btw.Thanks to any and all help. Ben

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/22 15:17 by ns2557.

Date: 06/22/22 15:25
Re: What's along the way?
Author: callum_out

2 weeks huh, that'd get me from your place to about Yakima. You're gonna need to priortize. 

Out 

Date: 06/22/22 15:33
Author: ns2557

callum_out Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 2 weeks huh, that'd get me from your place to
> about Yakima. You're gonna need to priortize. 
>
> Out 

Gonna be abit of Kamikazee style running and gunning. But that's pretty much what we have. It can be done. Will have plenty of time afterwards to get rested again. My mind say's "no problem" but the structural parts are gonna balk at all of it. Gonna be interesting indeed. Ben

Date: 06/22/22 16:06
Author: icancmp193

Small museum in Coos Bay right along 101 (northbound). Google their web site for days and hours. Also, the Coos Bay Rail Link, but from what I have read, most operations are at night.
There's also a tiny museum in Toledo, just east of Newpoer, OR.

TJY

Date: 06/22/22 16:32

If you drop down I-5 from Portland before turning toward the coast there's an interesting museum in Brooks and
while you're in the neighborhood theere might be steam running in Lebanon and then you could chase the Coos
Bay line and.......

Out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/22 18:09 by callum_out.

Date: 06/22/22 18:01
Author: northridgeswitcher

Ben, Pocatello has a lot of good spots that you watch trains from including in the depot parking lot.

South of the Depot you can find a number of dead end streets that end with railroad property on the other side so again you have a clear view of trains.

If you go out to the Ross Park area (again very South of town) there are numerous places to watch trains from.

Unfortunately when they pulled out the hump yard and related towers in the early 2000's the operations in Pocatello were changed forever. From some locations you can clearly see where that part of the yard was including the bowl tracks that were pulled out.

North of the depot you can drive about 1 to 2 miles and see the shop area and at the end of the yard (again the North end) you will see the diesel shops. You can pull around the fence line and there are a couple of places you can "stop" for photos but you will be a bit far as that end of the yard is very restricted with no public access.

If you have a scanner the main Pocatello frequency is 160.740.

If you are hungry and like Italian Food especially a great salad. Eat at Buddies Restaurant which is downtown. Disclaimer, it is a very small place so when you walk in don't be surprised by that.They have been there at least 60 years.

Hope you enjoy your trip. Be safe out there.

Northridge Switcher

Posted from Android

Date: 06/22/22 18:10

And while you're at it you might make the jog and hit the Deseret and Western.

Out 

Date: 06/22/22 19:30
Author: koloradokid

Garabaldi, OR  Look up the Oregon Coast Scenic RR.

Long Beach Washington.  Area had the railroad that ran by the tide schedule!  a couple of passenger cars still around (museum in Ilwaco), and a couple three depots.

Astroia has a trolley that runs along the river bank.  

Toledo, OR and the Portland & Western Toledo Hauler.  Usually out of town bout sunrise.  Depends on the day too, only runs 5 or  6 days a week.

North of Coos Bay is the CBRL which while a night run can be seen wesbound in early morning and eastbound late in the day.

CBRL runs from Noti to Eugene in the morning.

Lots to see, but some take information or time.

Deseret Railway is fun in NW Colorado,   Again, a timing issue.  Searches will yeild latest operating info.  Monday or Twosday good shots.  By Friday it gets iffy.

Robert
Puebloan at heart.

Date: 06/22/22 20:10
Author: MM171

a significant amount of railroad history is within the museum grounds at Portland.  Doesn't the UP go by there also???

Date: 06/22/22 20:24
Author: SD45X

And you may like the Spruce Goose at the McMinville museum even if you're Navy😜

Reardon WA Museum and the shortline there... was Eastern Washington Gateway. Cheney (BNSF) to Coulee City
Cle Elum MILW U25b
Mount Vernon Rwy under the he highway overpass.
Airway Heights WA between the two Air Force runways Western Rail collection evening's only. Can't see them from east side. They have power south at a new grain loadout as well. 
Puget Sound &Pacific
East Side Freight Line Woodinville - Snohomish WA
E unit in daylight colors at Spokane Valley WA
Warden SD9 Tunnel motor
Ballard Terminal SW1 night only
Kettle Falls WA short line to Waneta BC and the second line around to San Poil? Also BNSF Chewelah turn usually has 5-6 GP60 A-B combo to get to Chewelah to interchange with Kettle Falls. Usually sunrise they return south after interchange at Chewelah. Kettle Falls early departure north to Waneta BC bring passport if you want to go over border. Also a GP 7 at lumber mill past the ore dump about 3 miles up.
Royal City west of Othello WA has that shortline just started up. SD45s and maybe a MRS1 tucked in behind a fruit shed at Royal City
Snoqualmie museum
Skykomish has the GN painted SD9 display 
Kalispell MT BSB painted GN GP9
Connell WA has the SD9 shortline
See my heater car post above
St Maries ID --- see below 
POVA there west of Sandpoint at Usk (usually can't get permission on property), usually an engine at Priest River as well. M-W-F and the bridge by the dam west of Priest River and Newport museum and the BNSF Bridge😜 
MRL before it's gone!
Denton MT CMR shops
Casper-Bighorn Divide Wyoming 
Two SD50Fs north of Frannie WY at the rock place off the highway 
Cheyenne Swan Ranch
Chadron NE has that shortline outta the roundhouse and elevator engine (DMIR) outta town and RCPE May be there if you go the straight north way🤣

Edited 14 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/22 11:16 by SD45X.

Date: 06/22/22 20:58

Hey, what about the shortline between White Swan and Toppenish? Just forget about the little guys, sheesh!

Out 

Date: 06/22/22 21:03
Author: SP8100

SD45X Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Reardon WA Museum and the shortline there
> Kettle Falls WA short line to Waneta BC and the
> second line around to San Poil? Also BNSF Chewelah
> turn usually has 5-6 GP60 A-B combo to get to
> Chewelah to interchange with Kettle Falls. Usually
> sunrise they return south after interchange at
> Chewelah. Kettle Falls early departure north to
> Waneta BC bring passport if you want to go over
> border. Also a GP 7 at lumber mill past the ore
> dump about 3 miles up.
> Royal City west of Othello WA has that shortline
> just started up. SD45s and maybe a MRS1 tucked in
> behind a fruit shed at Royal City
> Snoqualmie museum
> Skykomish has the GN painted SD9 display 
> Kalispell MT BSB painted GN GP9
> Connell WA has the SD9 shortline
> See my heater car post above
> St Maries ID M-W-F
> POVA there west of Sandpoint M-W-F and the
> bridge😜
> MRL before it's gone!
> Denton MT CMR shops
> Casper-Bighorn Divide Wyoming 
> Two SD50Fs north of Frannie WY at the rock place
> off the highway 
> Cheyenne Swan Ranch

SD45X and others,

St Maries RR is a Su/Mo-Tu-Th  - Different days than when the UP Plummer Turn visits Plummer on Mo-We-Fr

If St Maries RR can't find part timers to run St. Maries to Plummer, then it will be the full timers running on Monday.

SP8100

Date: 06/23/22 07:49
Author: monaddave

>> Hey, what about the shortline between White Swan and Toppenish? >>

If in Topponish, WA, stop at the NP Railway Museum. Lots to see. Closed Monday-Tuesdays.

South Cle Elum, WA has the MILW depot (good BBQ) and substation, and Bunkhouse B&B. There's an interpretive walking path for a break from your run & gun windshield time.

In Puyallup, WA, drive out to the Foothills Trail East Puyallup Trailhead on 80th St E. Read the interpretive signs about lahars (volcanic mud flows) and stare at Mt Rainier. Immediately to the south is the Meeker Southern shortline's engine house. Okay, so it's inside a chain link enclosement. Don't know when they run. Here... https://goo.gl/maps/meGjWUs313Hj31YF6

Dave in MT

Date: 06/23/22 07:54
Author: Lackawanna484

That sounds like a great trip

Date: 06/23/22 14:34

As I said, give me two weeks and I'll get you to Yakima.

Out 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0837 seconds