Home Open Account Help 321 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > BofA upgrades three largest railroad operators ahead of potential

Date: 09/12/22 21:25
BofA upgrades three largest railroad operators ahead of potential
Author: SooGuy64

Interesting article from Yahoo Finance that starts out talking about the financial market outlook for some of the railroads but then goes into more detail about what has happened so far and what could still happen.  I found this part particularly interesting:  "If there is no contract this week, Congress could intervene by imposing a settlement on both sides or order a new cooling-off period."

I tried reading through the RLA but it doesn't address anything specifically.  My thinking is that with elections coming up Congress may get involved and order a new cooling off period to kick the can down the road until after the elections.

My two cents weorth.

Date: 09/12/22 21:37
Re: BofA upgrades three largest railroad operators ahead of poten
Author: bradleymckay

SooGuy64 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Interesting article from Yahoo Finance that starts
> out talking about the financial market outlook for
> some of the railroads but then goes into more
> detail about what has happened so far and what
> could still happen.  I found this part
> particularly interesting:  "If there is no
> contract this week, Congress could intervene by
> imposing a settlement on both sides or order a new
> cooling-off period."
>
> I tried reading through the RLA but it doesn't
> address anything specifically.  My thinking is
> that with elections coming up Congress may get
> involved and order a new cooling off period to
> kick the can down the road until after the
> elections.
>
> My two cents weorth.

I foresee that can getting booted down the highway...

Allen

Posted from Android

Date: 09/12/22 21:41
Author: MrMRL

A congressionally instituted "cooling off period" is not part of the RLA.

The many steps and procedures outlined in the 1926 Railway Labor Act (and it's amendments) officially come to a clonclusion at 0001 EDT, Friday, September 16, 2022. That's it. Full stop.

We are finally (after 985 long days and counting) reaching the end of this crazy antiquated process. If the members of Congress vote to kick the can down the road again with another pointless "cooling off period", that is simply a congressional act bound to some part of the US constitution.

​Mr. MRL ~ < 71 hours...

Date: 09/12/22 22:30
Author: Mr-Beechcroft

My prediction is that the government will get involved and Biden will take credit if a strike is averted. 

Adam

Date: 09/13/22 03:35
Author: DevalDragon

Mr-Beechcroft Wrote:
> My prediction is that the government will get
> involved and Biden will take credit if a strike is
> averted. 

The government will get involved but there ain't no way they can avert a strike.

Date: 09/13/22 05:50
Author: Lackawanna484

If the Brotherhoods choose not to strike at moment 1, but "consider their options" and issue public negotiating points, that puts the carriers in a disadvantaged position.

They can continue warning off business, while shouldering full expenses. They can lock out people who report for work. Neither looks good.

Posted from Android

Date: 09/13/22 06:30
Author: ronald321

I view being on the side of the railroads - as being on the side of "Wall Street Greed."

The Big Four Class-1 railroads are making net profits in the Billions of dollars -- and can
well afford to pay higher wages, etc.

But,  there have been many articles published about how Wall Street investors control
the railroads, and are intent on squeezing every last drop of cash out of the railroads..

Wall Street will never agree to sharing these profits with workers -- so a forced Government
settlement may be necessary.  Rail workers can only hope for the best.

Date: 09/13/22 07:52
Author: memphisfreight

ronald321 Wrote:
> I view being on the side of the railroads - as
> being on the side of "Wall Street Greed."
>
> The Big Four Class-1 railroads are making net
> profits in the Billions of dollars -- and can
> well afford to pay higher wages, etc.
>
> But,  there have been many articles published
> about how Wall Street investors control
> the railroads, and are intent on squeezing every
> last drop of cash out of the railroads..
>
> Wall Street will never agree to sharing these
> profits with workers -- so a forced Government
> settlement may be necessary.  Rail workers can
> only hope for the best.
>

Problem with that is the corp media, who acts as a sheild for Biden, will report that the companies offered signficant raises and even backpay.   So a lot of non rail people will not see "wall st greed" as the issue as everyone focuses on money. 

In the ATC strike in 1982 the controllers were striking for better working conditions but a lot of the public saw how much they made and the raises offered by Reagan and sympathy wasn't there to the level they hoped for.    Maybe this will resonate better now with average people after the pandemic with what so many average working folks went through, but to me it's all how the major media frames it. 

Date: 09/13/22 08:11
Author: DJ-12

I find it rather amusing that to see the biggest concern of some folks here appears to be that Biden might get/take credit for averting a major strike.

In the unlikely event his administration can step in and mediate a compromise, should he not at least get at least some modicum of credit? Step back and ask yourselves if that is any worse/different than what the previous president would have done in his place?

Date: 09/13/22 08:37
Author: ntharalson

Being an old guy, I can remember rail strikes in the 50's that never happened.  Congress intervened with a law that imposed a contract on the railroads and unions, usually favoring the unions because they vote.  We can argue about the effects of that at some other time.  However, these contracts did not affect the railway labor act one way or the other.  I'm expecting Congress to act should a strike be called.  And this advice to you union guys; be careful what you wish for, you may get it.  

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

Date: 09/13/22 09:44
Author: Trainhand

Ronald321, the main issues with the rank and file is NOT the money. It is having unpaid time off or a rest day. Do you work 24/7/365? That's what the rr want the train crews to do. Is a day off in a minus3star hotel considered a day off? Do you have any activities with your family or friends? Or do you work 7 days a week. Granted you are not at work all the time, but you are getting off and trying to unwind after a trip, or getting rest to go on a trip every day. When I retired 10 years ago, the first thing I did was unpack my grip. It had not been completey unpacked in 40 years. Do you have a grip paced ready to go all the time? Back to the day off in the away from home roach ranch, by the operating rule the comsumption of alcohol in company provided lodging is prohibited.(or at least on CSX 10 years ago). If that counts as a day off for the reset of the government days, why can't you drink a beer with your supper or afterward or if you are watching the football game in your room? I'm not talking blind drunk or up to the call. I'm just saying a casual beer like a lot of people do at night watching TV.

Sam 

Date: 09/13/22 10:31
Author: Lackawanna484

ntharalson Wrote:
> Being an old guy, I can remember rail strikes in
> the 50's that never happened.  Congress
> intervened with a law that imposed a contract on
> the railroads and unions, usually favoring the
> unions because they vote.  We can argue about the
> effects of that at some other time.  However,
> these contracts did not affect the railway labor
> act one way or the other.  I'm expecting Congress
> to act should a strike be called.  And this
> advice to you union guys; be careful what you wish
> for, you may get it.  
>
> Nick Tharalson,
> Marion, IA

Yes.  Organized labor may have voted largely for Democrats in the 1950s and 1960s, but since the Reagan era, the "labor vote" often splits along social or economic lines. Issues like second amendment, a woman's right to choose, immigration, medical care, inflation etc may be larger factors this time around.

Date: 09/13/22 10:34
Author: Seventyfive

DJ-12 Wrote:
> I find it rather amusing that to see the biggest
> concern of some folks here appears to be that
> Biden might get/take credit for averting a major
> strike.
>
> In the unlikely event his administration can step
> in and mediate a compromise, should he not at
> least get at least some modicum of credit? Step
> back and ask yourselves if that is any
> worse/different than what the previous president
> would have done in his place?

EXACTLY.  WELL SAID.

Date: 09/13/22 18:00
Author: 57A26

The Railway Labor Act says nothing about congressional action. 

Congressional authority is derived from the Commerce clause of the U. S. Constitution.  Upheld by the U. S. Supreme Court in 1917, Wilson v. New.  That case involved the Adamson Act that established the 8 hour day for railroad workers.  It established the "8 hours or 100 miles" basic day in 1916, with provisions for overtime. 

Date: 09/13/22 19:53
Author: Drknow

ntharalson Wrote:
> Being an old guy, I can remember rail strikes in
> the 50's that never happened.  Congress
> intervened with a law that imposed a contract on
> the railroads and unions, usually favoring the
> unions because they vote.  We can argue about the
> effects of that at some other time.  However,
> these contracts did not affect the railway labor
> act one way or the other.  I'm expecting Congress
> to act should a strike be called.  And this
> advice to you union guys; be careful what you wish
> for, you may get it.  
>
> Nick Tharalson,
> Marion, IA

Most all “union guys”, me included, don’t want a strike. Just to be treated like human beings and not rented mules. Is that to much to ask?

Regards

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/14/22 19:23
Author: cchan006

Drknow Wrote:
> Most all “union guys”, me included, don’t
> want a strike. Just to be treated like human
> beings and not rented mules. Is that to much to
> ask?
>
> Regards

Yup. That's too much to ask. That's the reality of most people in management ranks. They don't know (good work environment) and they don't care. Those who know are in a minority small enough that they can't override the "data-driven" decision making processes of senior management. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0711 seconds