Home Open Account Help 273 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > on the road again . . .

Date: 09/18/22 19:13
on the road again . . .
Author: 3rdswitch

.   .   .   hit the road from home in Palmer Lake, CO, this a.m. for try at the DAIR, a road I have never seen in person. On the way, of course had to jump off I-80 for a spell of following the UP via famous US 30, one of the best train watching roads to drive in the US. Only saw eight westbounds and one eastbound. The eastbound was 3x1x1 with 235 cars. Nothing like the good old days. I only picked three to share:
top: westbounds all, Maxwell, NE.
middle: a set of crossovers not far east of Maxwell.
bottom: a nice overpass at Brady, NE.
   .   .   .    only three more   .   .   .

Date: 09/18/22 19:13
Re: on the road again . . .

.   .   .   I normally do not do this but, a nice looking little loco in a park in Columbus, NE. and on arrival Norfolk, NE for the night, was a little surprised to find a decent size yard and quite a bit 
of power sitting around including a this freshly painted unit as well as a pair of matching black and white units. This is the end of a branch up from Columbus. Unfortunately, I missed good light by literally minutes.
JB

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/22 19:19 by 3rdswitch.

Date: 09/18/22 20:54
Author: callum_out

Great shots, 561 is gorgeous at night, nicely lit. As for Norfolk, guess it's technically the end of the branch but the line extends
several miles further Northeast to serve the Nucor plant, a large ethanol producer and a steel facility. Not sure if they're still running
UP power on the down train in the morning but it wasn't unusual for the AM train to Columbus to be 120 cars. Looks like a fun
trip.

Out 

Date: 09/18/22 21:13

I guess that explains it. My old Railroad Atlas shows the line ending here. There was a UP unit down in the yard?
JB

Date: 09/18/22 21:44
Author: callum_out

The line that reaches Nucor comes off a wye at the East end of the yard and wanders up thru town and was
previously the C&NW line to Sioux City. Not sure if they are still doing it but the AM train with the UP power
made it's way past the Columbus MOW office where they traded crews with a UP crew getting on and taking
over. I think the train at that time ran into Grand Island where it was blocked East and West.

Out 

Date: 09/19/22 06:58
Author: texchief1

Nice. shots,  JB!

RC Lundgren

Date: 09/21/22 13:40
Author: ns1000

I like Pic 3!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0482 seconds