Home Open Account Help 314 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > UP main between Portland and Clackamas.

Date: 09/22/22 16:14
UP main between Portland and Clackamas.
Author: VicNeves

Both Starlights are stopped showing service disruption between Portland and Clackamas. ???

Posted from Android

Date: 09/22/22 17:04
Re: UP main between Portland and Clackamas.
Author: MarionLinn

The Steel Bridge is stuck in the raised position.  Besides the two Starlights, the outbound Empire Builder (No. 28) also needs to use the bridge to wye the train before boarding passengers.

Date: 09/22/22 17:32

Problem has been traced to the commercial power supply to the bridge.  Portland General Electric has been notified.  No estimate on opening.  As of 5:20 p.m. 11 has incurred 3 hours delay; 14 holding at Clackamas, 2 hours and 20 minutes delay; 28 currently 30 minutes delay.  And 508 and 505 are en route to PDX as well.

Date: 09/22/22 17:38
Author: PasadenaSub

If the problem continues, perhaps Amtrak trains could bypass Union Station via the UP through Albina and bus passengers to/from Vancouver, WA?  Of course securing detour rights and getting UP pilots might be an issue.

Date: 09/22/22 17:43
Author: sagehen

Yes, there are ways around this problem.  I believe there's a loop track in the BNSF Portland Yard not far from the depot that 28 could be turned on.

Stan Praisewater

Date: 09/22/22 17:50
Author: Macster

Amtrak can and has used North Portland Jct (wye into T6) and has use Vancouver to wye the train as well. Just a slightly longer trip.

Date: 09/22/22 18:04
Author: wpdude

They don't have a back-up generator for the bridge????

Date: 09/22/22 22:29
Author: roustabout

11 was by Shedd at 10:28, six hours late.

Date: 09/22/22 22:44
Author: koloradokid

sagehen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes, there are ways around this problem.  I
> believe there's a loop track in the BNSF Portland
> Yard not far from the depot that 28 could be
> turned on.
>
> Stan Praisewater

Yes, I have seen 27 back that way and then back back to the depot.  Eleven could have backed toward Vancouver and taken the UP through Albina and back on the normal route, with 14 doing the reverse.as can be done with the 508 and 505 if not already through.  Had the upper level been disrupted too, affecting MAX (all four routes cross this bridge).?

Robert

Date: 09/23/22 08:56

True enough that there are alternatives for wyeing 28's equipment.  But yesterday there was a complicating issue.  28's locomotive was problematic on the way into Portland as No. 27 and before the trainset could depart as 28 they had to get unit AMTK 137 from No. 14, which was holding at Clackamas for the bridge problem to be resolved.

Date: 09/23/22 12:05
Author: asheldrake

Light rail uses the upper deck and there have been no alerts about delays.....so I'm assuming that only the lower railroad deck is affected....while I love our world unique Steel Bridge, some of us area residents would like to see light rail in a tunnel under the Willamette River thus allowing longer MAX light rail trains.    Arlen

Date: 09/23/22 15:52
Author: PHall

asheldrake Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Light rail uses the upper deck and there have been
> no alerts about delays.....so I'm assuming that
> only the lower railroad deck is affected....while
> I love our world unique Steel Bridge, some of us
> area residents would like to see light rail in a
> tunnel under the Willamette River thus allowing
> longer MAX light rail trains.    Arlen

Until they see how much it would cost to dig that tunnel...

Date: 09/23/22 15:52
Author: NCA1022

My understanding is that the length of the MAX trains is dictated by the relatively short blocks in downtown Portland.  A two-unit MAX train will fit within one block without fouling one of the intersecting streets.    A three-unit train will not clear.

- Norm

Date: 09/23/22 17:44
Author: asheldrake

right Norm.....one of the major reasons for the tunnel. three or four car MAX trains....the other being the age of our Steel Bridge.   yes, a tunnel would be expensive but then aren't most infrastructure investments.    Arlen   

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.062 seconds