Home Open Account Help 366 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > on the road again . . .

Date: 09/22/22 18:11
on the road again . . .
Author: 3rdswitch

.   .   .   slept in today after spending night in Texarkana and headed straight for Shreveport with first catch in the joint UP KCS corridor just south of downtown where KCS UP transfers pass as well as Meridian Speedway, New Orleans traffic and UP through traffic. Train was rock train out of Martin Marietta pits at Hatton, AR, which I heard on the scanner yesterday. This train went Vicksburg Sub but never heard from it or saw it again after getting put into first siding east of Bossier City at Fosters? Then as I usually do, took side roads about half the way between Shreveport and Monroe. Heard the DS talking to a local which for some reason went by me at less than tweny mph on a clear signal. The Vicksburg Sub is pretty straight but not necessarlity flat as the westbound local had 396 axles coming into Haughton, LA.
.   .   .   only five more to go today  .   .   .

Date: 09/22/22 18:12
Re: on the road again . . .

.   .   . stopped in at Gibsland, LA, as I nearly always do finding this pair of LNW units tied down at the shops. Not very often the power from down south is not tied down on the main just south of town but today, nothing but rails. Next heard the DS talking to another local out of Monroe that would be meeting a westbound at first siding west, Fitzmorris, in the town of Cheneire, LA. After stopping at Panda Express in Monroe headed east on old 80, which follows the KCS Vicksburg Sub pretty good until I heard a westbound calling signals near Waverly, LA   
.   .   .   last two to go   .   .   .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/22 18:18 by 3rdswitch.

Date: 09/22/22 18:12

.   .   .   and lastly, I try to catch the locals whenever possible and heard the DS talking to one at Tallulah, LA. Unfortunately I missed some conversation and ASSumed he was already westbound headed back to Monroe, BUT, he was not so I did quite a bit of unecessary driving and ended up with my first cloud %@!& in five days in Tallulah, not bad. And, as usual, I also drive north of Tallulah to see what power might happen to be on the Delta Southern a couple of miles north of town and the same pair I have seen three times now was tied down on the rickety main in good afternoon light and nice of them to leave it in a nice opening as there are trees all the way. An eastbound intermodal with UP power was passing through Tallulah when I returned and planned on catching him in Vicksburg, but, the DS was talking to a grain train in the siding at Vicksburg that would be blocking any view of the UP so called it a day as by the time both trains crossed the big bridge over the mississippi river at the ten mph speed restriction, it would be dark. As additional info, afternoon seems to be the busiest on the Vicksburg Sub with todays three intermodals and a westbound manifest after noon. Also, this local seems to be a regular that goes to Tallulah to interchange with Delta Southern in the afternoon normally returning in great late afternoon light and should have been a good catch today but with two extra grain trains in the picture, the DS had the local shove back into the siding at Tallulah to meet two.
JB

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/22 18:39 by 3rdswitch.

Date: 09/22/22 20:49
Author: oyw

Great report, looks like you're having a blast!

Date: 09/23/22 07:47
Author: ntharalson

May I guess that those LNW GP15-1's are ex-BNSF, ex-BN, nee-Frisco?  The engine numbeers would indicate that.  

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

Date: 09/23/22 09:20
Author: NYSWSD70M

ntharalson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> May I guess that those LNW GP15-1's are ex-BNSF,
> ex-BN, nee-Frisco?  The engine numbeers would
> indicate that.  
>
> Nick Tharalson,
> Marion, IA

Wrong air filtration for ex Frisco. My guess is ex NS/CR.

Posted from Android

Date: 09/24/22 10:03
Author: Evan_Werkema

LNW 1456 was built as ex-Conrail 1698 and LNW 1448 was built as Conrail 1688.  The road numbers are the ones they had on NS following the Conrail split.

Date: 09/25/22 06:23
Author: tuxedorailfan

Plan on coming over towards Meridian this go around?

Date: 09/25/22 17:12
Author: ns1000

Nice pics!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0696 seconds